Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just called at&t and got them to remove my balance

tag
sportyloc107
Established Member

Just called at&t and got them to remove my balance

Im so pumped right now. I recently checked my credit report and seen that I had a debt in collections by AFNI,INC. For a old ATT bill of $131.00.I sent AFNI two emails offering PFD but they wouldnt do it. So today I called at&t and told them I was calling to dispute a past bill. They first gave me the run around sending me to different departments over and over. But I finally found the right department, and I told the guy that I had moved from that address back in 2010 and that when I moved I had called and had that service disconnected but someway I was still billed for it. He did some checking and couldn't find a disconnect order placed on my account for that service. But put me on hold and came back and said since I have been a great customer and have never missed a payment or had a late payment that they would delete and show a balance of zero dollars. I was pumped. They said it should show a zero balance on my account in two business days. So my question to you is what do I need to do now? Will at&t contact AFNI to remove this from my credit report or what?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just called at&t and got them to remove my balance

I would wait a month or so and see what AFNI does in terms of reporting. If they delete, then you're good to go. If they keep on reporting then I would redo what you did and aim for a written response. You can then use that to get it off.

Message 2 of 5
sportyloc107
Established Member

Thanks! how much can my credit score bump up with this collection removed???

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's a YMMV-thing. If collections or accounts listed as 60 or worse is the #1 negative FICO scoring reason, and if this were your only baddie, then you can easily see solid double-digit increases. If you have other baddies, then the points returned diminish significantly. It also depends how it reports. For example, if it were 6 yrs old you won't see as much of a gain versus being a month old. Personally, on a perfectly clean report, I had a collection appear and lost 104 points off my EX FICO. When it deleted later that month all of the points returned. Rewind the clock a bit, I had dozens of baddies reporting including collections and a judgment. When the collections started disappearing I wasn't seeing any gains but started to see large double-digit gains as the last ones rolled off.

Message 4 of 5
sportyloc107
Established Member

Thanks for the feedback. And that was the only open account that I had in collections in my credit report. It had been open since January 2013. The only other negative I have on my credit report from experian is a closed/paid account from dfas that was paid in 2008. Any suggestions on how to get that one removed. Thanks!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.