Established Member
sportyloc107

Just called at&t and got them to remove my balance

[ Edited ]

Im so pumped right now. I recently checked my credit report and seen that I had a debt in collections by AFNI,INC. For a old ATT bill of $131.00.I sent AFNI two emails offering PFD but they wouldnt do it. So today I called at&t and told them I was calling to dispute a past bill. They first gave me the run around sending me to different departments over and over. But I finally found the right department, and I told the guy that I had moved from that address back in 2010 and that when I moved I had called and had that service disconnected but someway I was still billed for it. He did some checking and couldn't find a disconnect order placed on my account for that service. But put me on hold and came back and said since I have been a great customer and have never missed a payment or had a late payment that they would delete and show a balance of zero dollars. I was pumped. They said it should show a zero balance on my account in two business days. So my question to you is what do I need to do now? Will at&t contact AFNI to remove this from my credit report or what?

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Just called at&t and got them to remove my balance

I would wait a month or so and see what AFNI does in terms of reporting. If they delete, then you're good to go. If they keep on reporting then I would redo what you did and aim for a written response. You can then use that to get it off.

Established Member
sportyloc107

Thanks! how much can my credit score bump up with this collection removed???

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

It's a YMMV-thing. If collections or accounts listed as 60 or worse is the #1 negative FICO scoring reason, and if this were your only baddie, then you can easily see solid double-digit increases. If you have other baddies, then the points returned diminish significantly. It also depends how it reports. For example, if it were 6 yrs old you won't see as much of a gain versus being a month old. Personally, on a perfectly clean report, I had a collection appear and lost 104 points off my EX FICO. When it deleted later that month all of the points returned. Rewind the clock a bit, I had dozens of baddies reporting including collections and a judgment. When the collections started disappearing I wasn't seeing any gains but started to see large double-digit gains as the last ones rolled off.

Established Member
sportyloc107

Thanks for the feedback. And that was the only open account that I had in collections in my credit report. It had been open since January 2013. The only other negative I have on my credit report from experian is a closed/paid account from dfas that was paid in 2008. Any suggestions on how to get that one removed. Thanks!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+