cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just closed CreditOne and First Premier. Ugh.

tag
Pot-ting-ting

Re: Just closed CreditOne and First Premier. Ugh.

Good for you.  I am going to close mine this month as soon as my new discover and Amex true earnings show up on my credit report.  It did the job of helping me rebuild, but I agree the are horrible.

Starting Score: TU 546, Eq 549 1/23/13
Current Score: Eq 651, Exp 669, Tu 682. 6/2014
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 16
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

I'm not discounting credit ones purpose in helping me rebuild, junior, for some this card is the only unsecured line they can get. This time last year I was very excited to get my credit one card but I've worked hard on improving my credit and I know others here feel the same. At this point I've shown the responsibility that leads to the next tier of cards higher credit limits with rewards for good credit behavior. Again I'm grateful that I had the credit one card as it served a purpose but I need cards that can grow with me and credit one is just not the bank I want to grow with. I'm ready for credit cards companies to swoon for my business not the other way around lol
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 12 of 16
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

@juniornj23 wrote:

but i can not closes my credit one bank since this is my oldest card 

A closed credit card will stay on your report for up to 10 years and still be factored into your AAoA. I have an old Salute card that was closed in 2009 that is still on Experian, and it's giving a nice boost to my AAoA considering all of my open accounts were opened in the last 3-4 months. I wish it were on the other two.

Some of the FAKO scores - Credit Karma being one of them - only take open accounts into consideration for AAoA, but the FICO models use them all.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 13 of 16
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

Pay attention to your First Premier account. My card is cancelled but it isnt officially closed yet. In my account it shows the last monthly fee and then a credit for that fee since i can't technically use the account.

They explained that it is their policy to suspend the account for 3 months and stop the card from being used. After that time, they will completely close the account. I don't like the sound of it but if i end up with it completely closed i will be happy. It also gives me 3 more months of reporting that i don't have to pay for. Supposedly, this is so that people who change their mind will go back and reopen their account. It was also told to me that if i do reopen the account they will waive some of the fees.

Screw dat... no amount of freebies will make me go back to First Premier. It did it's job, i'm done.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 14 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Served their purpose, now let them go.  Like others have said, make sure nothing is owed on them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 15 of 16
d170
Regular Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

I have a CreditOne card with a $600 line. It has served its purpose in my rebuilding plan. I will eventually close it but I fail to see the "horror" that it poses being in my portfolio of cards. I put a small charge on it occasionally and the pay the bill in full when it arrives. Why is it so bad? The monthly fees, 6$ per month and then whatever the annual fee is.  Between my two cards I paid about 225/250 annually to them?  That money is better used somewhere else (Savings, to pay down another balance etc. )  I'm thankful they allowed me to rebuild and now it's time to move on. 

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.