cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just finally jumped on the credit/fico boat a little help if you can.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just finally jumped on the credit/fico boat a little help if you can.

Hello people first off I am new so please be kind if I ask rather ignorant questions. Smiley Happy

First off my total FICO score is at 501 I know its really bad when I turned 18 all the way up until now 22 yrs old I didnt give a hoot about my credit of course until I needed it.
I have a horrible credit report about 17 collections total (i knowMan Sad) but I have a capital one secured card coming most likely by the 9th of august its secured with a $200 limit and also I was approved for a best buy mastercard in the way of $100 (I work at best buy I was originaly turned down but used my "employee accomadations" and got approved!) I should receive that by aug 9th id imagine aswell if not sooner but my question is How should I go about repairing my horrible credit??? I do work part time and have every intention of paying off my balances and probably adding more depost to my capital one when I can.

My target FICO would probably be 660 or so I know I will have to work at it but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Just finally jumped on the credit/fico boat a little help if you can.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Don't beat yourself up over it.  We all, at one time or another have made bad choices.

Your first step would be to get a free report from each CRA at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp  You can get one free annually.

Read the links in my signature block.  These will help you to understand the processess.

Just paying a CO or collection will not help your score.  FICO looks at paid and unpaid the same.  These would need to be removed.

Once you are ready,  you can post any accounts you may have questions about.  Try not post everything in one thread as it makes it harder for us to read.

Having the 2 CCs that you have is good.  Just make sure you pay them on time every month.

For now, I would work on getting my credit repaired before I tried to rebuild.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I got about repairing it? I was always told the damage that is done is done that you really cant fix it. I have disputed a few bad marks that seemed really out of place that I truely do not believe I incurred and are having them investigated will that help?

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would not dispute.  It can lead to unwanted events happening.

You can repair your credit.  It may take a while but it can be done.

Follow the advise I gave you in my first answer and you will be well on your way.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.