cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just found out Citi has been incorrectly reporting late payments to Experian for 3 years!

tag
sunshine7624
New Contributor

Just found out Citi has been incorrectly reporting late payments to Experian for 3 years!

Not sure why i didn't notice this before, but I just checked my Experian credit report and found out that the American Airlines account I had with them that I settled with them for a lesser amount tham what was owed in 2012 has been reporting since the late payments every other month, most recently last month!!! I  am beyond livid, I know I need to file a dispute with Experian, that goes without saying, but isn't there a government agency where I can file a complaint against Citi for doing this?  This has obviously been very damaging to my credit file, has gone on for years and is likely the reason why I keep getting denied for CLI on my two new Amex cards.  HELP.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just found out Citi has been incorrectly reporting late payments to Experian for 3 years!

I'm shocked you got the AMEX cards its reporting lates like that. First thing I'd do is call Citi as soon as they open and ask what is going on..... They have the ability to correct it today where as disputes can take up 30 days. As far as damage to your credit, yes there are laws but none of us a lawyers in your state. You should speak to one if you plan to take action. . The consumer protection agency is who you'd complain too on the federal side. Also the BBB.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 2 of 3
sunshine7624
New Contributor

Re: Just found out Citi has been incorrectly reporting late payments to Experian for 3 years!

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering if I should contact them directly first so I'll contact them today.  Re: Amex approvals - I got the Delta card $2400 limit and the Costco card $1200 limit when my Experian score was 668 and my bankruptcy was still reporting too (it fell off this month yay!  5 months earlier than I thought it would, but I read recently that it's 10 years from the filing and I always thought it was 10 years from the discharge.)  My Experian score is 662 now which was puzzling because I've been trying really hard to do good with rebuilding so that's why I started combing through my report and found this grossly erroneus reporting by citi.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.