Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got served a lawsuit over an old $600 medical bill

tag
ah32
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just got served a lawsuit over an old $600 medical bill

Sometimes people want to pay off a bill, but don't want it to affect their credit for another 7 years. Honestly, I think the rules should change. I have a medical bill for $299 that is affecting my credit. I want to pay it, but once I do the clock starts over. I'm working to get a pfd. I would suggest paying them, but working it out so that it doesn't end up on your credit report. Live and learn. Don't let this end up in court. Not over a $600 bill that you can afford to pay. Good luck!

Message 11 of 31
DE2TX
Established Member

@Fox342 wrote:

Ok, I'm sorry if my post seemed to be inflammatory or attacking the OP.  I really am here to here to help people and I enjoy doing it.  But I thought this was to help people in legal and ethical ways.  I've seen a few instances where mods stepped in because things were bordering on that.  I don't see how this doesn't.

OP says he is being sued for a bill that he owes from 2009.  OP says he tried to settle with vendor but they wouldn't settle.  OP says he was just hoping the bill would fall off. Then OP says he has the money to pay the bill...should he pay them or fight them?  How is advising someone to fight a bill that they owe and have the money to pay ethical?  And that's what the OP is asking...should he fight paying a bill that he says he owes and has the money to pay.

I'm all for helping people when they're in trouble...but giving someone advice on fighting a bill that they owe...especially when they have the money to pay it is wrong.  I've even seen it stated on here before that advice cannot be given on challenging legitimate derogatory marks on a credit report...or something to that effect...I don't have the post right in front of me....and that makes sense.  Isn't advising someone to fight a bill they owe and can pay also unethical?  I mean that is what the OP asked...should he pay or fight it right?

Now I admit that there could be missing information here...such as if the bill was originally for $100 and the rest is fines and fees or something like that.  But that wasn't stated in the post...so we are to assume that the OP owes the $600 bill.  And if he has the money to pay it and hasn't done so...then how is he  not looking for a way to not pay his bill?

Again, I'm sorry if I'm wrong...which I frequently am...but asking someone if you should pay or fight a bill that you legitimately owe seems unethical to me.  

Fox

I look at the issue a bit differently. "Fight it" would, in my interpretation, simply mean that the OP makes them prove that the debt is valid, that they have the authority to collect, that they can account for the expenses, that they can prove that the expenses were authorized and legitimate. Odds are, if the OP didn't use insurance, that he is getting overbilled because medical providers charge different prices to different people. Cash buyers get the more expensive price and Medicaid buyers get the lowest.

Sure, he could simply roll over and pay whatever they says he owes, but I think that is really for him to decide.

Message 12 of 31
Fox342
New Contributor

@DE2TX wrote:

@Fox342 wrote:

Ok, I'm sorry if my post seemed to be inflammatory or attacking the OP.  I really am here to here to help people and I enjoy doing it.  But I thought this was to help people in legal and ethical ways.  I've seen a few instances where mods stepped in because things were bordering on that.  I don't see how this doesn't.

OP says he is being sued for a bill that he owes from 2009.  OP says he tried to settle with vendor but they wouldn't settle.  OP says he was just hoping the bill would fall off. Then OP says he has the money to pay the bill...should he pay them or fight them?  How is advising someone to fight a bill that they owe and have the money to pay ethical?  And that's what the OP is asking...should he fight paying a bill that he says he owes and has the money to pay.

I'm all for helping people when they're in trouble...but giving someone advice on fighting a bill that they owe...especially when they have the money to pay it is wrong.  I've even seen it stated on here before that advice cannot be given on challenging legitimate derogatory marks on a credit report...or something to that effect...I don't have the post right in front of me....and that makes sense.  Isn't advising someone to fight a bill they owe and can pay also unethical?  I mean that is what the OP asked...should he pay or fight it right?

Now I admit that there could be missing information here...such as if the bill was originally for $100 and the rest is fines and fees or something like that.  But that wasn't stated in the post...so we are to assume that the OP owes the $600 bill.  And if he has the money to pay it and hasn't done so...then how is he  not looking for a way to not pay his bill?

Again, I'm sorry if I'm wrong...which I frequently am...but asking someone if you should pay or fight a bill that you legitimately owe seems unethical to me.  

Fox

I look at the issue a bit differently. "Fight it" would, in my interpretation, simply mean that the OP makes them prove that the debt is valid, that they have the authority to collect, that they can account for the expenses, that they can prove that the expenses were authorized and legitimate. Odds are, if the OP didn't use insurance, that he is getting overbilled because medical providers charge different prices to different people. Cash buyers get the more expensive price and Medicaid buyers get the lowest.

Sure, he could simply roll over and pay whatever they says he owes, but I think that is really for him to decide.

I agree...but none of that was stated, so it's all assumed or up to interpretation as you say.  

If he doesn't owe the debt I would agree to fight it, if he owes the debt I would agree to pay it.  He did say they won't settle so even if some of the $600 is interest I think I would pay it instead of going to court.  

Fox

"The borrower is slave to the lender."
(EQ: 820) (TU: 827) (EX: 815)
Message 13 of 31
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ah32 wrote:

Sometimes people want to pay off a bill, but don't want it to affect their credit for another 7 years. Honestly, I think the rules should change. I have a medical bill for $299 that is affecting my credit. I want to pay it, but once I do the clock starts over. I'm working to get a pfd. I would suggest paying them, but working it out so that it doesn't end up on your credit report. Live and learn. Don't let this end up in court. Not over a $600 bill that you can afford to pay. Good luck!

Paying a bill does not reset the CRTP clock for another 7 years. Once an account has been COed and a DoFD has been set thats it, the DoFD never changes even if its been paid. In the case of medical bills the DoFD is the 30 day late mark from the first invoice and this date can never be changed either.

Message 14 of 31
DE2TX
Established Member

@Fox342 wrote:

@DE2TX wrote:

@Fox342 wrote:

Fox

I agree...but none of that was stated, so it's all assumed or up to interpretation as you say.  

If he doesn't owe the debt I would agree to fight it, if he owes the debt I would agree to pay it.  He did say they won't settle so even if some of the $600 is interest I think I would pay it instead of going to court.  

Fox

We don't know anything about the OP other than: 1) a medical debt is reporting on his credit. 2) They won't settle. 3) They now want to sue.

Message 15 of 31
ah32
Frequent Contributor

Good to know! I didn't realize the rules for medical bills are different. I'm still going to work on pfd because I don't want to wait for it to age off. Thanks! I learn something new every day on these forums!! Does this apply to utility bills?

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ah32 wrote:

No, it does not. DoFD determines how long it stays on your reports and NOTHING CHANGES THAT. I really don't know where so many people are getting this notion.

If you get sued for a debt however, the judgment report time is NOT based on the DoFD, its based on the filing date. So a 6 year old debt that you were 'waiting to drop off' suddenly turns into a judgment and DOES add another 7 year derog. Paying never makes it worse, but ignoring it in hopes that it will 'just go away' often DOES make it worse.

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ah32 wrote:

Good to know! I didn't realize the rules for medical bills are different. I'm still going to work on pfd because I don't want to wait for it to age off. Thanks! I learn something new every day on these forums!! Does this apply to utility bills?

It applies to ALL debts reported. Makes no difference how they originated.

Message 18 of 31
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Ok, clarification time.
When I say I owe it, I mean it's something I've been billed for, but don't agree with. I paid the dr my copay at the time, and my insurance company paid their portion as well. Nobody can determine what this $600 accounts for.
I've tried settling, they won't settle. Since I don't feel it's a valid debt, that's why I've not paid it. Like I said, it's the only collection on my reports, so I'm not some deadbeat trying to avoid responsibility. I'm just not going to pay some debt collector just because they say I owe.
That being said, I don't need a judgment on my credit. I'm in the process of buying a house, and I'm sure that's where this came from, since I've not heard s peep from these guys in a couple of years. My question is whether or not I should just pay the $600 to settle or go to court and demand answers and validation.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 19 of 31
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

If I settle, it does not become a judgment, right? So no new entry on my credit report?
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.