Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had to file a complaint against Equifax

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Just had to file a complaint against Equifax

Equifax has to be the most poorly run company I've ever dealt with, it sickens me that they have access to my personal information.

They had my current address and one of my former addresses listed wrong (among many other things that are currently in dispute). I called to have them fix the addresses, this was a few weeks ago. They said they would fix my current address and delete the former address that is listed wrong. Fine. The next day I find that while they did delete the former incorrect address, my current address is still showing incorrectly. I gave it a week (checking my reports daily with USAA) and the problem still remained.

Yesterday I call to ask why the current address is still showing incorrectly even though I received an official notice from the company weeks ago that they had resolved the issue? The idiot who took my call mumbled some nonsense that the previous rep didn't update the info correctly (funny considering I received a notice with the correct info showing), and that he'd take care of it.

I log on to USAA today and pull a fresh report, not only did this fool fail to correct my address, but the former incorrect address that was previously removed had been put back on! That was his contribution, to reverse what the previous rep had done, and still fail to correct anything. I have no clue how this company is trusted to maintain the personal information of millions of people.

There's no way in hell I'm spending one more second of my time calling these people, so I just got done filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I can't believe I have to resort to filing a dispute with one company about a dispute with another, all just to get my freaking address correct. I have three more open disputes with this horrendous company, I have zero faith that any of them will be handled correctly.

Has anyone gone this route before to get something fixed? If so, does it work? How long does it typically take? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
NY2014
Established Contributor

Re: Just had to file a complaint against Equifax

I'll prob be right behind you nothing but wrong improper idiots ! I keeps tons of files, ready to report them, and will go as far to file a law suit against them. Going to contact a consumer lawyer this week.very tired dealing with them for the past 8 months now.!
Hope all works out for you just the same
Good luck Smiley Wink
Fico Score 10/6 EQ 702,16 INQ,TU 740, 9,iNQ EX 705,21 INQ,13%UTIL-
,10 yrs history,1.6 yr AA Cap1 Plat,VentureOne,QS ,Barckey RCI, BBVA,Amex BCE,CSP,NFCU Flag, NFCU Go,NFCU,Cloc NFCU busin,NFCU busin Cloc,Amex Delta busn,Bj's busn Perks,Hawaiian air busin, Citi dc, Discover IT,Chase Hyatt,U.S bank flex perks.,Am,ex Business Plat JCP. Commercial, citi Hilton
Message 2 of 17
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

I tried to get my credit report from Equifax last week and i couldn't pass the security questions. Do you think wrong information on their end could be the reason i couldn't get my report?

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 3 of 17
trc1962
Regular Contributor

Equifax talked me into signing up for their "premium" package, problem was with collections they did not list the name of the collection agent-only listed it as "medical." When I called to complain, the guy I got said "okay, I will fix it and put it back under our basic plan, but I will still charge you premium" and I said cancel all please. However, last week when I called I spoke with a woman who said she would gladly "remove all the collection reports that had a zero balance." I was shocked and now I will wait and see. They are not a great company!

Message 4 of 17
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Today I received an email that Equifax had responded to my complaint and corrected the issues. I went to my USAA account and loaded a new report and sure enough both addresses were fixed, FINALLY. All of these phone calls that resulted in nothing, I file one consumer complaint and the problem goes away immediately, goes to show they lack integrity unless they are FORCED to handle your personal information with care.

Tonight I will be filing another complaint against them. My student loans through Sallie Mae are showing as installment loans, which is good, but they are also showing as having some sort of credit limit, with my initial student loan being that limit, and a later student loan bringing me over the limit. Because of this nonsense it's showing my debt to credit ratio as a staggering 127 percent, and on my Score Watch credit report where it states what is impacting your score negatively it has this as my second most serious offense. The problem of course is that it's not accurate, it's a student loan, not a line of credit. I disputed this over the phone on 5/30. Tonight I received an email stating the dispute had been resolved. SHOCKING, they didn't fix the problem. They deleted the historical account information for each student loan entry, and updated a few dates by a few days relating to the loan origination date etc, but my student loans are still showing as having a credit limit with me being over that limit by $7,000. In other words, as usual, my dispute resolved nothing. They updated and/or deleted information that had absolutely nothing to do with my initial dispute.

So, back I go to file another consumer complaint. This is the route I'll be taking from now on whenever I have a dispute with Equifax. No more phone calls, these people have proven to be beyond useless.

Message 5 of 17
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

The biggest problem I've encountered is the majority have horribly broken ENGLISH. All 3 bureaus outsource our credit info to foreign companies who do not hold the same regard and credit does NOT have the same impending value as it does in the US.
Message 6 of 17
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

^Quite Alarming to know your credit profile is in the hands of other nations!
Message 7 of 17
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@Drsgwld wrote:
^Quite Alarming to know your credit profile is in the hands of other nations!

I never really thought about it.

Now i see something different because of that statement. I used to get a lot of calls from a collection agency and every time i talked to them (same guy every time) i was talked down to. I thought it was just a nasty CA but a lot of the times i hung up and cursed the sexist <insert many *bleeps* here> I wonder if his tone and comments were because he is from a country where women are worthless. Ugh!

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 8 of 17
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Not surprised!!! When I've called to check on a dispute before I was aware Equifax rarely makes changes, even when the reporting agencies send them corrections IMMEDIATELY, for 30 days from the time you dispute... I had these guys redisputing and prolonging the process! Psst me OFF!!! Now I tell them Do NOT reopen this dispute if it has NOT been closed!
Message 9 of 17
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I wished Consumer Protection would put a HALT to outsourcing our credit and secured profile info! This is a HUGE security issue! These bureaus make more than enough money to hire Americans. Let India, China, Bangladesh oversee their own nations, NOT Ours!!!
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.