Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just hit a brick wall, should I pay?

tag
kingkai1990
Contributor

Just hit a brick wall, should I pay?

Ok, my ScoreWatch just notified me that an account was added to FICO history and my score just went down 20 points (after it went up!). 

It was a cable bill from Charter that I forgot to pay. Now I was thinking about going to Charter and know I'll have to pay the bill anyways (It's only $100). Now if I pay the bill to Charter directly, will it be removed from my credit report? Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dursty87
Established Contributor

Re: Just hit a brick wall, should I pay?

They aren't required to remove it from your credit report if it is indeed an accurate collection account.  I would pay it seeing as it is only $100.  Having a paid collection vs an unpaid collection isn't going to raise your score but it always looks better under manual review.  You can always try to PFD with Charter and if they aren't willing to you can pay and then GW them.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
kingkai1990
Contributor

@ssondubs wrote:

They aren't required to remove it from your credit report if it is indeed an accurate collection account.  I would pay it seeing as it is only $100.  Having a paid collection vs an unpaid collection isn't going to raise your score but it always looks better under manual review.  You can always try to PFD with Charter and if they aren't willing to you can pay and then GW them.  Good luck.

Okay thanks. Should I do a debt validation 1st  with the collection agency or just Charter?

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@kingkai1990 wrote:

Ok, my ScoreWatch just notified me that an account was added to FICO history and my score just went down 20 points (after it went up!). 

It was a cable bill from Charter that I forgot to pay. Now I was thinking about going to Charter and know I'll have to pay the bill anyways (It's only $100). Now if I pay the bill to Charter directly, will it be removed from my credit report? Thanks!

You would want to contact the OC (Charter) ask them to recall the collection then settle in full directly with the OC, if they wont recall the CA then proceed to DV them (the CA), PFD with a CA is your last resort not your first. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
kingkai1990
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@kingkai1990 wrote:

You would want to contact the OC (Charter) ask them to recall the collection then settle in full directly with the OC, if they wont recall the CA then proceed to DV them (the CA), PFD with a CA is your last resort not your first. Good luck Smiley Happy

Ok cool, thank you. Hopefully they take it considering I will be back with them. Would I need to get a letter in writing from Charter?

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@kingkai1990 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@kingkai1990 wrote:

Ok cool, thank you. Hopefully they take it considering I will be back with them. Would I need to get a letter in writing from Charter?

They may or may not provide a letter in writing till after its been paid, if they give you a verbal commitment to recall the CA then I would go ahead and complete the payment, if for some reason they renig on their word then you would come at them with the BBB for shoddy business practices. Its always better to get something in writing before but if it will blow the deal I personally would proceed anyway.

Message 6 of 8
kingkai1990
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@kingkai1990 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@kingkai1990 wrote:

They may or may not provide a letter in writing till after its been paid, if they give you a verbal commitment to recall the CA then I would go ahead and complete the payment, if for some reason they renig on their word then you would come at them with the BBB for shoddy business practices. Its always better to get something in writing before but if it will blow the deal I personally would proceed anyway.

Great, thanks. I was thinking about this. Getting really excited. Hopefully I get two collections in once month! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
kingkai1990
Contributor

Update guys! Just paid Charter! They said they will send a letter to the CA to remove the account. So excited! I'll tempoarily take a hit due to a higher balance for the next two weeks, but I should be golden next month! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.