cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just looking for a little help and where to start.

tag
bucky311

Just looking for a little help and where to start.

I am new to the community and there is just a overwhelming amount of information. I want to get a hold on my credit, and looking for some advise on where to start. I have my credit report and just need some idea of where to go from here. I know this is kind of vague but just need a starting point. My eyes are burning from reading post on here for the last 5 hours so I am reaching out for help.

Starting Score: 575 creditkarma\ 612 fico 01/01/2014
Current Score: 581 creditkarma \ 619 fico 04/01/2014
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just looking for a little help and where to start.

Its hard to know with no details how to start the rebulding process.  Can you give a little background, what are the baddiesin your report, how old is your credit, what do you currently have, etc.  Smiley Happy

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 2 of 7
bucky311

will have to do a little research. i will get back with this info.

Message 3 of 7
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

My advice is to start a rebuilding journal (check out mine- link in my signature line below) where you write out every item on your reports, the balances, status (paid, unpaid, charge off, etc.) and any notes you have.  My log has been invaluable to me, it helps me see everything I have, and what to work on next.  Once you give us more information, there are so many helpful people here who will chime in Smiley Happy

Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 4 of 7
bucky311

@lmfields84 wrote:

My advice is to start a rebuilding journal (check out mine- link in my signature line below) where you write out every item on your reports, the balances, status (paid, unpaid, charge off, etc.) and any notes you have.  My log has been invaluable to me, it helps me see everything I have, and what to work on next.  Once you give us more information, there are so many helpful people here who will chime in Smiley Happy

Thank you for the advice. I have started to put my journal together and will post when I have completed it. I can already see just by physically writing it down has a much more sobering affect, and motivating as well.

Message 5 of 7
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Something that has helped me trmendously so far is getting a huge 3-ring binder & keeping everything in it.  I have it separated with my most recent credit report in the front & then sections for all my "baddies" & ones I'm working on, then a section for previous reports & then sections for all my accounts that I'm done with or "mostly done" in the back.  I put everything in it...letters & emails to & from creditors, any notices, hand written notes.  The goal is to get all the accounts in the front eventually moved to the back & "checked off" my list.  It makes it really easy if I need to see what's going on with Capital One (or, whoever) I can turn to that section and I have everything in one place.

I'm sure everyone on here has their own way of keeping up with things, but this has worked really well for me so far.

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 6 of 7
bucky311

I am still very new here and have'nt figured out all of the terms and abbreviations. So I am plugging away reading all I can. Just glad there is so much useful information and advice at my fingers.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.