Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just looking for encouragement during rebuilding process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looking for encouragement during rebuilding process

I am honestly here to just kind of vent and I need some encouragement. I started on my husband and I's rebuilding process. I am 28, he is 32. We have 4 kids. We have owned two houses but currently rent. Our plan was to rent for 2-3 years and buy again. Our gross income is about 90k, but with 4 kids in daycare we pay them around 26k/year. Well, in order for us to buy a house again we both need good credit scores AND a down payment. Mine are horrible (around 580 mid score), his are not terrible but still not great (around 680 mid score). I have been working on having some errors fixed on our reports and I got us a credit card to help (we did not have any before)

I got a medical bill in the mail yesterday that was past due and I called to take care of it today so it wouldn't go to collections and hurt my already terrible score more. Well, I took care of it and also paid a few that were in collections directly to the hospital that thankfully had not gone on my credit report yet. It was a lot of money for our family ($800) After I did that, the gal I was talking to looked at our other accounts with this hospital. (Each family member has their own account) and apparently we have over $4,000 in collections right now to this hospital. Looking at our credit reports none of the collections on our reports belong to this hospital, so apparently they haven't reported them to our reports yet, which I guess is a plus (even though some are as far back as 2012). She is sending me an itemized list for all of the collections but I am so overwhelmed with how to dig ourselves out of this hole and I am just hoping somehow I get lucky and no new ones will be added to hurt my already bad score even more. Totally feeling like I want to give up and ignore it all again, but I know that's not the right thing to do. However, to know we have about $8,000 worth of medical bills and ALL of them are in collections is so overwhelming and feels impossible to me (all while rebuilding and wanting to save money for a down payment) 

Okay, that was a lot of rambing and if you made it this far, thanks. Any encouragement is gladly welcome. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just looking for encouragement during rebuilding process

@Anonymous wrote:

I am honestly here to just kind of vent and I need some encouragement. I started on my husband and I's rebuilding process. I am 28, he is 32. We have 4 kids. We have owned two houses but currently rent. Our plan was to rent for 2-3 years and buy again. Our gross income is about 90k, but with 4 kids in daycare we pay them around 26k/year. Well, in order for us to buy a house again we both need good credit scores AND a down payment. Mine are horrible (around 580 mid score), his are not terrible but still not great (around 680 mid score). I have been working on having some errors fixed on our reports and I got us a credit card to help (we did not have any before)

I got a medical bill in the mail yesterday that was past due and I called to take care of it today so it wouldn't go to collections and hurt my already terrible score more. Well, I took care of it and also paid a few that were in collections directly to the hospital that thankfully had not gone on my credit report yet. It was a lot of money for our family ($800) After I did that, the gal I was talking to looked at our other accounts with this hospital. (Each family member has their own account) and apparently we have over $4,000 in collections right now to this hospital. Looking at our credit reports none of the collections on our reports belong to this hospital, so apparently they haven't reported them to our reports yet, which I guess is a plus (even though some are as far back as 2012). She is sending me an itemized list for all of the collections but I am so overwhelmed with how to dig ourselves out of this hole and I am just hoping somehow I get lucky and no new ones will be added to hurt my already bad score even more. Totally feeling like I want to give up and ignore it all again, but I know that's not the right thing to do. However, to know we have about $8,000 worth of medical bills and ALL of them are in collections is so overwhelming and feels impossible to me (all while rebuilding and wanting to save money for a down payment) 

Okay, that was a lot of rambing and if you made it this far, thanks. Any encouragement is gladly welcome. 

I know it can be overwhelming at times, but taking control of it and being proactive on things goes a long way towards easing your anxiety. Right now, savings should not even be on your priority list, until you get those bills paid off - you need to throw everything but the kitchen sink at them. I would look for ways to reduce the daycare costs as well. Once they are paid off, then go whole hog on the savings.

For rebuilding purposes, you both need to have three bank credit card at a minimum. With his scores in the upper 600's that should not be too difficult. I'd suggest looking at Cap One to start with.

Message 2 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Boy oh boy, I know about medical bills.  You are on the right track, fixing errors on your CR and trying to make sure no other bills go to collections.

I would suggest talking with the hospital billing department, see what they have to offer in helping you with these bills.  I have found each hospital has something, you just have to keep asking. Smiley Wink Good Luck to you. 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both. I know this is the right thing to do in order to keep moving forward and rebuilding, but my goodness, it can be so overwhelming when you realize what you're up against. The girl I talked to was so sweet and she felt so bad giving me that news. She is going to send me a financial assistance application along with the itemized statement. Although we have a pretty good yearly gross salary, at the time a lot of the large amounts occured, we had a very low household income and no health insurance, and we were still a family of 6, so maybe there will be some sort of assistance there. The OC will take payment and recall from collections, but in order for them to do it, you have to pay the bill in full. No payments. I will just have to take it one step at a time and get them cleared up. Trying to cut back on everything and get this done ASAP so we can really start saving for a house. 

Thanks for helping me clear my head. I had to turn somewhere. My poor husband doesn't know how to respond to me in moments like this. His usual "it will all be okay" doesn't really make me happy. hahaha. 

Message 4 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Go ahead and fill out the  financial assistance application,you  maybe surprised on how much help you can get. 

Go for it.  Let us know how it all turns out.  Talk with you soon bye

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.