Established Member
JerseyJeff84

Just ordered myFico score: It stinks, but I'm actually happy!

[ Edited ]

Well,

When I was checking out my Walmart Credit Card information on their website, they had an offer to see my Score for free, so I thought "What the heck?" Plus, I was curious, because I knew I had a bunch of new collections that had showed and I wanted to "get it over with" and see just how horrible my score was. Considering I had figured out that I had almost 5 collections and an extremely high debt-to-credit ratio(63%), I was expecting the type of score you would see after a bankruptcy, something in the 400's. To my surprise, as of today, 10-30-11, I stand at 597 through TransUnion's MyFico simulator. Even though that score stinks in the eyes of lenders, I am pleasantly surprised.

When I went to the part of my score when it shows the "scale" and what your negative and positives are, the ONLY positive I had was my credit history. I'm only 27, so my history(my first ever revolving credit account) is 7 and a half years. My biggest factors on the negative side were collections and a bunch of maxed out credit cards. My goal is to shred the ones I have on hand and just save one for emergencies.

I realize improving your credit, even when you make on-time payments for years on end, is a slow and pain staking process, but as long as God keeps providing me with my steady income, I don't see why I couldn't get into the mid to high 600's within a few years. I should make that my "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" plan. I also, decided to sign up for the $4.95/month quarterly monitoring plan, so that I can keep better track of my report.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :-)

New Contributor
sweetschuni

Re: Just ordered myFico score: It stinks, but I'm actually happy!

You are doing the absolute right thing by now monitoring your reports and by visiting the MyFico forums. I wish you all the best!

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 666
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+