allenalexander

Just paid two collection accounts

Hello all,

I don't really post much, just mainly browse the forums for information.  Well, I'm in the process of joining the military and need a secret clearance.  The secret clearance requires that I not have any adverse credit info such as collections, bankruptcies, judgments.  At the time, I had 3 small balance collection accounts.  I've paid 2 of the three thus far.  I've listed the two accounts as they appeared on my Transunion and Experian report.  They were scheduled to fall of within the next 3-4 years, however I needed them to be showed as Paid in Full.  My question:  By paying these accounts, have I completely F'd up the possiblity of them falling off on the dates indicated? I know I may take a ding to my FICO, but that isn't my primary concern right now.

-Bay Area Credit Services

Date Placed for Collections: 06/2008

Estimated Date Item will be removed: 10/2012

Balance: $79

Date Updated: 07/2008

Original Creditor: ATT West

Amount Paid (paid today): $129 for Paid in Full

This account became first delinquent some time in 2004.

-Credit Bureau Associates

Estimated Date Item will be removed: 07/2011

Balance: $30

Original Creditor: UC Davis

Amount Paid (paid yesterday): $45 for Paid in full

This account became first delinquent some time in 2005

Are the estimated date of removal stated on the reports final and binding.  I would hate for this information to reported after the 7-7.5 year mark simply because I made a payment.  The balances are rather small, and my FICO score is in the 690-720 range, I think because these accounts are rather old.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

Re: Just paid two collection accounts

If this helps...When my DoD Secret was in the works, I had 4 collection accts, plus... Cap 1 written off/bad debt, plus... a cc showing 30, 60, 90, 120, c/o...sold to collections, plus...another cc with 4- 30 day lates & 2- 60 day lates,  (and more actually) Although I began paying some of this off, I KNOW it wasn't good because all the negative info was there....paid or not.  I still got my clearance.

I'd pay up what you can asap, but I think they're mainly looking for someone who has a 40k income & is 100k in cc debt.  That's a red flag...basically, they are someone who could be paid by an enemy for secret information... 

If your debts aren't astronomical, but a situation that any normal joe could find themself in...you should be fine.

Starting Score: 07/2011 TU 732 - EQ 717 - EX 702
Current Score: 06/2014 TU 739 - EQ '08 709 - EX 721
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 06.18.14

allenalexander

Yeah you're right.  My baddies were those three collection accounts, which combined for a total of $256.
Regular Contributor
helplessintn

It is my understanding from these forums that payment on items such as those should NOT re-age your account, so it should not impact when they disappear from your reports.

Even so, I would keep a copy of the reports from all 3 agencies showing the information about the age and when they're due to come off, just in case someone does attempt to re-age them illegally.

Good luck!

EQ: 686
TU: 694
EX: ???
guiness56

Accounts fall of 7 - 7.5 years from the DOFD.  Nothing changes this date. 

The only thing that is affected by a payment would be the SOL.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+