cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received my first collections letter....

tag
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Just received my first collections letter....

Ok, so needless to say, I'm freaking out.

I went into the hospital two months ago, and I don't have medical insurance. I received one bill from the original bill collector, and supposedly a couple of phone calls (albeit to an incorrect phone number, a number I've never had registered under my name, or any family member for that matter).

The collection agency is Medical Business Bureau, LLC.

My first question is, will this hit my credit report if I call them tomorrow and pay them in full? Or should I take a different approach, writing a letter to them in a PFD-esque manner, stating that if I pay them such and such amount, that nothing will ever be reported, etc.? I don't know how to go about this situation.

I met with my Medical Bill Advocate today, but this seems like something I should handle ASAP.

The original bill is ~$1200, and the collections agency offered $900 over the phone tonight to consider the bill satisfied. What should I put in any certified letter to them? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ImageImageImage

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just received my first collections letter....

@slarano wrote:

Ok, so needless to say, I'm freaking out.

I went into the hospital two months ago, and I don't have medical insurance. I received one bill from the original bill collector, and supposedly a couple of phone calls (albeit to an incorrect phone number, a number I've never had registered under my name, or any family member for that matter).

The collection agency is Medical Business Bureau, LLC.

My first question is, will this hit my credit report if I call them tomorrow and pay them in full? Or should I take a different approach, writing a letter to them in a PFD-esque manner, stating that if I pay them such and such amount, that nothing will ever be reported, etc.? I don't know how to go about this situation.

I met with my Medical Bill Advocate today, but this seems like something I should handle ASAP.

The original bill is ~$1200, and the collections agency offered $900 over the phone tonight to consider the bill satisfied. What should I put in any certified letter to them? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

First thing is to see the hospital financial officer and apply for any assistance that may be available, if none is then use the HIPAA Process for medical CAs you can Google it we cant discuss it on this board.

Message 2 of 3
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just received my first collections letter....

My medical bill advocate will be reaching out to all of my medical bill collectors. As far as this CA letter, I guess it's beyond the original creditor at this point, although I still sent a letter of hardship to the original creditor group. I will research what you suggested, thank you!

ImageImageImage

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.