cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just starting my Credit Recovery Journey

tag
icee20

Just starting my Credit Recovery Journey

Hi, I really dont know where to start at this point, if you have any suggestions that would be great.  I know my creditkarma says 576 and my quizzle says 580.  What are my first steps now to raise my scores.  Sorry that I dont sound like I know anything, but basically for the last couple years I have just said screw it I dont care how my credit sits since I had a Chapter 7 in 2007.  Now I am wanting to improve my family situation and buy a house.  Thank you for any suggestions, and if you need more info just let me know  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cqdealer711
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just starting my Credit Recovery Journey

first you should get copies of all your credit reports from annualcreditreport.  You get each bureau once per year , for free.  You need that information to start your journey.

Starting FICO Score: 10/1/12--EQ 512 | TU 492 | EX 524
Current FICO Score: 2/22/14--EQ 705 | TU 703 | EX 716
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
icee20

I have recent copies os eq and ex, tu I must have gotten...

I have recent copies os eq and ex, tu I must have gotten months ago and can no longer access it

Message 3 of 10
cqdealer711
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have recent copies os eq and ex, tu I must have gotten...

so you have no printed copy?  

Starting FICO Score: 10/1/12--EQ 512 | TU 492 | EX 524
Current FICO Score: 2/22/14--EQ 705 | TU 703 | EX 716
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
icee20

I have saved copies to my computer that can be printed out if needed, just not tu

Message 5 of 10
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Some information is better than none for starters.

Do you show any Collections or Charge off"s? Any lates? etc?

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 6 of 10
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Also the scores you have from Credit Karma and Quizzle are only approx scores. You can buy your TU and EQ scores and reports here on my fico. They are the true credit scores.  I also use Credit Karma to track any changes in my credit, but not for my scores.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 7 of 10
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

The best places to get your reports is annualcreditreport.com, or the individual CRAs. You can buy your TU report directly from TU (don't buy your initial report here). If you're concerned about keeping costs down, I'd spend it on updated reports (if you've already had your annuals free this year.) There is a difference in the reports from the CRAs and 3rd party resellers. They are fine and cost-saving once you get used to how they compare to one another, and from a basic credit-monitoring point-of-view. But I believe it's best to start with the most accurate which is only from the CRAs. (Annualcreditreport.com reports are from the CRAs.)

If you have the extra dollars, then buy your TU and EQ ficos here. Even if you later rely on other score sources (like free ones), you'll have the correct "baseline" to compare them to. If you decide you'd like a score or credit monitoring service while you are working on your credit, I suggest you do a bit of research, reading, asking, etc., to choose the one that's best for you.

Message 8 of 10
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

if you haven't paid much attention to your credit since your BK, you may have some inaccuracies that didn't update properly. First step is get your reports, and if anything doesn't make sense, come here and ask or do a search on this forum for your issue. I know it is so confusing at first, but once you start reading everything you can and asking questions, it will become less overwhelming.

I wouldn't worry too much about your scores at this point, you will reach a point soon where once you are aware of all the different ficos and fakos, it will make no sense whatsoever. So, when you are ready, purchase your TU and EQ fico here, they are true ficos and the best place to start.

I am the queen of stick-my-head-in-the-sand so my head won't start spinning with all this info, and if I can do this, you sure can.

Message 9 of 10
icee20

Re: Just starting my Credit Recovery Journey

I have went through my credit reports and here is what they show, I did not include student loans which are in good condition.  I am trying to contact my lawyer about the two ARC accounts, called CO said there was nothing they could do to get in contact with my lawyer.  Also gotten credit scores.. Fako 569, myfico 487, experian 561.  Any ideas of where to start?

Open Accounts:

Capital One - $300 Limit paid on time

Charge Off: 

Firestone - $1271

Care Credit - $740

Apollo Group (U of P) - $694

VZW - $608

Collection: 

ARC – ($510, $1593 ( included in BK but still reporting)) $340

ENHANCRCVRCO (direct TV) - $288

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.