cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just starting out, could use a few pointers

tag
jesandrw4

Just starting out, could use a few pointers

So as alot of young kids do, I messed up my credit. I am 25 now and trying to rebuild i but I really dont know where to start. Last time I had my credit score checked it was around 530. I have paid off several old debts, and one is past the limit (tmobile, about 8 years old) that is not longer being reported, nor does it show on my credit report 

I currently have a car payment (since October '13)  through Credit acceptance. I have not been late or missed a payment. A few days ago I was approved for a Fingerhut account with a CL of $400.00, I have made a purchase of $200.00 and dont plan to make another until this one is paid off.

No goal is not to open tons of credit cards, but to maybe have one that I can use for small purchases that I can pay off pretty quickly.

If anyone has any tips that could help me in this process would be great!

Hot Topic- 350
Kohls- 300
Credit one- 300
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Just starting out, could use a few pointers

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I would get 2 or 3 revolving accounts.  That is where your biggest boost in score will come from, utilization.

Is the fingerhut a revolving or installment?

For optimal scoring, let all but one card report 0 balances and the last one at 9% or below.  Once it reports, pay it off before the due date to avoid interest charges.

You have a thin file and your biggest help is going to be time and letting the accounts you do have age with on time payments.

Have you pulled all of your free reports from annualcreditreport.com?

Message 2 of 11
jesandrw4

Thank you, I have tried a few times to apply for other cards but have been denied (even for a walmart card) so I was very surprised and greatful that Fingerhut, despite their outrageous prices, gave me a chance.

I am not 100% sure if it is revolving or installment. I read a few posts on other sites that said there are two different lines of credit that you can get from them. I did not have to put any money down when I was approved, and when I look at my account it shows that I have a minimum balance due each month, so I want to say that it is revolving, but i am not completly sure.

Would going for a secured credit card help at this point? or are their better options.

finally, I did pull my reports last year and when I tried to print them, I was unaware that my printer was out of ink so now I have to wait another 5 months before I am able to pull them again.

Hot Topic- 350
Kohls- 300
Credit one- 300
Message 3 of 11
hayhayhayday
Established Member

Message 4 of 11
jesandrw4

Thank you, will go look them up.

Hot Topic- 350
Kohls- 300
Credit one- 300
Message 5 of 11
kklblue5
Established Member

Who is Quizzle.

Message 6 of 11
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

A secured card you cant be turned down for and no credit check needed and they report to all 3. Great builder.

Credit Cards | State Department Federal Credit Union

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 7 of 11
jesandrw4

So i just checked my experian and these are the only 2 negatives that come up.

IQ data

opened 11/2012

Closed, paid

Wells fargo dealer services

opened 5/2009

paid in settlement

I have 9 accounts (school loans and current car pmt that are in good standing)

Do you think it is possible that I can ask to have these 2 negatives removed since they have been paid and are a few years old.

Hot Topic- 350
Kohls- 300
Credit one- 300
Message 8 of 11
jesandrw4

Woohoo! apprived today for Capital one quicksilver CC with $500 limit. Going to make small purchases and pay them off quick, hopefully I will see some small positive change Smiley Happy

Hot Topic- 350
Kohls- 300
Credit one- 300
Message 9 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@jesandrw4 wrote:

Woohoo! apprived today for Capital one quicksilver CC with $500 limit. Going to make small purchases and pay them off quick, hopefully I will see some small positive change Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.