Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kay Jewelers Approval!!!!

tag
Jess421
Contributor

Kay Jewelers Approval!!!!

Good Afternoon All!! I try to keep my good news and even bad news posted for everyone on my credit rebuild journey. This morning I got the itchy finger of trying to apply for another credit card to bring down my utilization.  I did alot of research online and found that Kay Jewelers was supposed to be one of the easiest department store cards to get.  So after I received a Victoria Secret Card last week I figured I would give it a shot.  I did the application and got hte good Ol' we will let you know message Smiley Sad I was kicking  myself for applying.  I decided to do the live chat to do some recon.  I asked the lady to check the status and she had said I am sorry your application was denided due to credit reseons, you will receive a letter in a few days explaining why.  Again I was sooo mad at myself for applying.  Then I checked my email and to my surprise it said approved for a credit line of $400 (small but a start)!! Some stipulations 20 % down with purchase but I will take it!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: CK 519 FICO 498
Current Score: 2/26/13 FICO 590 TU FAKO 639
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pedsaktix
Valued Member

Re: Kay Jewelers Approval!!!!

Wouldn't this beat the purpose of rebuilding credit?..  or you want to add more credit overall to reduce your utilization?..  Sorry for the noob question..  I'm still learning.

Starting Score: TU 627 EQ 619
Current Score: TU 647 EQ 629
Goal Score: 720

Message 2 of 10
Jess421
Contributor

I am trying to add credit to lower utilization and show new tradelines of credit.  The main reasons for my denials a few months ago was due to utilation being too high ( actually just paid everything down) and no new lines of credit.  I am still working on alot of negatives (charge off's etc) but to me this will help my score go up in the long run.

Message 3 of 10
CarlyK82
New Contributor

Congrats on the Kay's approval! My fiance applied in December, and he has borderline mediocre credit. He was able to get a card with them with the same stipulations. However, he did apply in store and although his credit line was only $500 upon opening, when he was able to put more of a down payment down, this increased his credit line significantly and was able to purchase my engagement ring! Smiley Very Happy

It was all about the sales associate trying things out and ringing things up and working with it.

But I remember he was hestitant to apply because he knew his credit was crummy, so he didn't want to bother. But the woman (now I don't know how true this is), said that they have their own financing people and it isn't through a big name bank, so the requirements are a lot different. Know I know when they pulled his credit it was through Sterling, so I am not sure how true what the associate said was true.

Kay's is also associated with Jared's & JB Robinson. However, I believe it is a shared credit line between the others if you applied for a card through them as well. He did, and it shows a $0 credit limit, although he was approved for the $500 through the other two.

Officially in the garden...for like, EVER (or at least a really long time)

Starting Score: TU: 636 EQ: ?? EX: ??
Current Score:TU: 641 EQ: 643 EX: ??
Goal Score: 700s Across the Board

Message 4 of 10
Jess421
Contributor

Oh nice!!! I am pretty excited about it! Its so nerve wracking when you know you dont have good credit and you are waiting to see if you are approved. 

Message 5 of 10
TrishN
Established Contributor

with 50% down payment? but congrats Smiley Very Happy

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 6 of 10
Jess421
Contributor

20% down

Message 7 of 10
TrishN
Established Contributor

they approved me 4 months ago with 400$ CL. and 50% down payment, oh well please close my account . thank you and you have a nice day Smiley Very Happy

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 8 of 10
Jess421
Contributor

LOL well something is better than nothing if you are rebuilding credit.  Even if it helps you open up other tradelines down the line, I guess that is all that matters.

Message 9 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.