Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Disputing or Settle?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep Disputing or Settle?

There is an account on EX which just came back as updated. I've already disputed and had it deleted from EQ and TU. The original balance is $1,450, updated balance is $1800. DOFD 5/2005. I read that multiple disputes sent one after the other are viewed as frivolous. I also read that you should generally wait 60 days before submitting another dispute on the same item. Is that correct? 

While I understand I need to be patient.. I'm beginning to tire. I'm tempted on trying to see if they will settle. I actually have an unsolicited settlement letter drawn up already. I definitely don't want to pay the full amount and I definitely don't feel that it should be deleted off my CR. Frustrating, because this in essence would be the final and only baddie on my EX CR. 

Recommendations?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Keep Disputing or Settle?

Yes they can report as frivolous if you dispute too much..because if it comes back as verified they contact the same and get the same info.

Instead of disputing, try MOV...request method of verification...how EX verifed the account..name address and ph# of anyone they contacted.

What reason are you disputing?...not yours...wrong balance...dates wrong...etc..

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Through EX, I originally tried their online dispute process. I don't remember what the default dispute method is. That came back almost immediately as updated. The next day I called in to EX's number listed for CR inaccuracies. The person I spoke with transferred me to the fraud department.

The person I spoke with in the fraud department put a 90 day hold on my CR, issued an FA, suggested I look into a police report if I haven't already and put an investigation on the dispute in question for fraud. It took them 5 business days (a week total) to update/add fees.

I'm thinking about disputing as not mine, although I had not considered MOV. But since this TL has already been disputed twice in a matter of days, I don't really feel like waiting another two months to resubmit for investigation. I'd be willing to settle if the CA would agree to PIF of 30% and deleting the TL completely...

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I am not sure from reading your posts exactly what it is that is wrong.

Can you be more specific.

Disputing an account as not yours that is, is a violation of the TOS of this forum.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 09-24-2009 12:12 AM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't aware of the TOS.

The OC on this particular TL in question is an auto body shop. It was placed on my CR at a time when I didn't even own a vehicle. I'm not sure how this came to be, but as such I feel that it should be deleted. 

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you have already disputed and it came back verified, doing it again will do no good.

If the account is not yours, you should have an address, or at least the name of the OC on your CR.  Contact them and find out what is going on.

Did you sell a vehicle around that time frame?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.