cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Credit Cards at 9% utilization. Worth it?

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Keeping Credit Cards at 9% utilization. Worth it?

Why have a credit card if you have to keep it below 9%? You are encouraged by merchants and banks to use their cards, but when you do, you are told not to use them, or you are using them too much.  A lot of places only take credit cards. If you have a $500 card which most of my cards are, you can only charge $45.  What's the use in having a credit card?  Most companies don't issue the first card any higher than $500.  And if you don't charge anything, you don't establish credit.  Who makes these rules, and why is it so hard to find out every factor that effects your credit?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Keeping Credit Cards at 9% utilization. Worth it?

You can charge as much as you like as long as you pay it down to 9% or under before it reports to the CRAs.  Utilization is a huge factor in your score and FICO likes to see you use credit but wisely.

Here is something that may help you about the different factors used in scoring:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 2 of 4
sphinx313
Established Contributor

How credit utilization works is, you can have a $20,000 credit line, but it's not advised that you keep a $12,000 balance on it. That's not what the line of credit is for. I personally look at credit lines as a way to get something I need now that I don't have the cash reserves for, or maybe even for points or airline miles like some other cards offer.

You can leave a balance sure, but your score will suffer because it will APPEAR as though you are "living" off of money that you don't have. You're encouraged to buy something for $300 on your $500 walmart card...just pay that $300 down to $50 or $0 when you get your paycheck. Again, I use credit as a tool to get me by until my paychecks come in.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
tmobileguy
New Contributor

Just pay the balance before they report...thats all....use it to its full max if you wish, just make sure to pay it back down before they report your balance and you will be keeping everyone happy...

Starting Score: EQ 575 EX 595 TR 524
Current Score: EQ 643 EX ??? TR 638
Goal Score: EQ 300 EX 300 TR 300

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.