Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping my credit card limits

tag
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Keeping my credit card limits

Hi All, I have 2 credit cards that are pretty much maxed out. In the past few months, my scores have jumped up 100 points (I've been cleaning them up pretty well). I can start paying them down, but I don't want to do so until I know the credit card companies have seen my current scores/reports. That way when I pay them off, they won't drop my limit (or will be less likely too).

Does anyone know -- before a card drops someone's limit, do they check that person's score/report then, or do they rely on the last one they pulled? Chase hasn't pulled my score in 7 months (I looked at the soft pulls on my reports).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Keeping my credit card limits

I honestly don't think anyones credit score has anything to do with a CCC dropping the CL.

It has been happening all over the place.  Some people have very high scores and have never been late and theirs still got lowered.

IMO, I would worry they would drop my CL for being maxed out.  I have seen that happen time and again.

Message 2 of 6
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Since I am maxed out -- if I pay it all off at once do you think that will minimize the risk of them dropping the CL?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - I work in IT, on credit systems.  In my experience, most companies will pull a score quarterly, if not monthly.  I think it's strange that Chase hasn't pulled your score in 7 months...that seems long to me. 

One other thing - besides pulling scores, most CCC also monitor credit reports in the same way that we monitor them via CM subscriptions.  One company I worked at received a 'trigger' file from EX daily for all customers.  Triggers would include things such as address changes, delinquencies, bankruptcies, etc.  We would handle the accounts accordingly.  This way if something major happens between score refreshes, they are made aware of it.

Last note, CCC also maintain internal behavior scores based on how the account is handled.  Some systems have their own internal scorecards, while others use third party products such as FICO's TRIAD to derive a behavior score.  Regardless, this score is also looked at when relimiting accounts.

I think I'm rambling now, but long story short....I can't explain the 7 month issue but just because they haven't refreshed your score doens't mean they don't know what is going on.  I hope this helps!    Regards, cardmaster.

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I really can't say for sure.  But paying them down to at least 10% would raise your score.  Utilization is 30% of your FICO score.

It was just my opinion.  Since the CCC seem to have no rhyme or reason when they cut a CL.

If you read in the CC forum, many posters are getting their CL lowered. 

Message 5 of 6
kal9988
Regular Contributor

thanks! so if they are monitoring it via an alert system, I guess it wouldn't show up as a soft pull on my report. good to know. I think I'll pay $1,000 on each card and see what happens. If one limit drops and the other doesn't, I'll pay off the better one first, and see if that helps.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.