Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key Bank charge off on student loan

tag
jtmoy19607
Established Member

Key Bank charge off on student loan

Neee advice. I guess this could go under both student loans and rebuilding debt. I have a small loan with Keybank and I am worried about repaying it and not getting the charge off removed, how do I do this? How does one get the charge off removed? and make certain it is removed after payoff. Also I don't think i should've gotten a charge off, the number of days with no payment is 180 i get that. but what had happened is I was filing for bankruptcy. I didn't make payments in november or december and was told not to, while the bankruptcy was going through in January of 2015. Then they charged off the debt. Part of the 180 days was cause of the transactions of the bankruptcy finilizing, I was told I could not make payments at this time. Should the those days have counted toward the 180 of nonpayments. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Key Bank charge off on student loan

Taking of the charge-off was requried by federal banking regulations, which have nothing to do with the consumer, they have to do with preventing the creditor from overstating their assets based on accounts receibable that have no reasonable expectation of being collected.

Paying the debt will not negate the fact that they took the charge-off, and thus will not be basis for requiring its deletion.

However, nothing requires the bank to have reported the fact of their charge-off to the consumer's credit file, and they can, if they so choose, delete that reporting.

Recourse is to contact them (preferably someone in higher management who can grant your requst) and purse a request for good-will deletion of that reporting.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.