Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kind of freaking out...

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Kind of freaking out...

Sooo, I kind of figured things were too good to be true... I spent the last two months paying off my debt and rehabbing my SLs, and I was like... I don't know why I thought I couldn't do this 3 years ago. Anyway, everything is paid off minus the SLs still in rehab obviously...

And now... I randomly called the local hospital because I was wondering if I had any outstanding bills that weren't covered by financial assistance a few days ago.

I found out there are 5 accounts, about $350 each. Those are just the hospital fees that weren't covered. They said I could make a payment arrangement to keep them out of collections. Okay fine. 

Then I was told along with these fees, the doctors also send a separate bill for each day. I never got those, and they can't tell me what the bills are. Now I'm sad, because I worked so hard to get things off my CR, and now I'm afraid all of these entries are going to pop up.

They are bills from 2007 and 2008... they haven't popped up yet.. but they can right? I'm too scared to call the collection agency that the hospital works with, because I don't have the money left to pay them now. I feel like all my hard work was for nothing. And it's too late to reapply for hospital financial assistance for back then.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Kind of freaking out...

When the services were rendered, what agreements were made as to when and how billing was to be made?

You certainly signed no agreement with associated doctors.

The doctors most likely owe you a bill setting a due date for payment.  Without prior billing, there would be no basis for asserting consumer delinquency in not paying by a certain billing due date.

If a debt collector were to contact you, then you have the right as part of a timely DV to request the name of the original creditor.  That request must be separately stated in a DV request.  You could then contact the doctor and assert lack of billing, and thus of any delinquency.  That could serve as basis for lack of a deliqency upon which to refer for collection.  They have responsibility to provide billing for asserted debt... you should not have to guess.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.