Kinda bummed

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Kinda bummed

@Anonymous wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the problem (one of them) is that I've read that Cap One will only let you have 2 cards with them, thus the insta-decline. 

No longer the case.

I have a couple QS cards opened in 2013 and just approved for Venture.

Maybe its dependant on which cards you have. I had two platinum accounts, and was turned down last month for a third QS account, the reason stated was "There are too many Capital One accounts". I have since upgrade the two platinum cards to QS cards. Maybe in a couple of months I'll try again.

I believe the 2 card max refers to their rebuilding credit steps type cards, seems that 5 cards overall now is the magic number at least for being able to collect sign up bonuses.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Consider carrying some debt over to the following month or even a few from time to time."

Sorry I was not clear.  I usually have below a 30% utilization. After it reports, I bring it down to zero and start again.

" By that, I mean are you Charging them to near the limit then paying it off as soon as the charges post, and doing this multiple times each month, leaving only a small balance to carry over at the end of the statement period. THAT is the kind of usage that Cap One likes to see."

That is exactly what I have been doing.

"Have you registered for online account management? It really makes it easy to make multiple payments, and see your accounts, balances pending charges, payments made and payments pending, etc, etc..."

Yeppers.  Since the beginning.

"You can also call and see if they will ugrade the Journey card to a reward card."

I will try that if reconing fails.

"-800-903-9177 is Cap 1 EO direct line"

Thank you!  Should I do it now or wait for the letter to get here?

"my hunch is your total available credit is too low"

That might very well be the case.  I will bump the secured to $500 and see about a CLI for the Journey (or Rewards if they up the card).

Thanks for the responses, my friends.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you should go ahead and call. If they have questions be honest. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain TS.  My scores are fair and on the rise but I was recently declined for Barclays (a card that I really wanted for some reason) and I would see people with Chapter 7's 3 years ago get approved.  It is frustrating but you cannot let it get you down, keep plugging away.  I would call the EO office since it was a HP anyways.  If they say no, keep paying on time and try again in another 8 months or so. 

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the bright side, I just got approved for a Discover IT Chrome ($500 CL).

Amex Everyday is still pending.

Cap One is on crack. LOL
Message 15 of 25
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Exact same boat, Bottineau. I apped for the Barclay's Rewards card with 615 across the board and was denied. I reconned one time and they said it was the 6 year old CO. I should have probably waited a bit, but I had seen approvals in my score range and decided to try it.

I paid all my derogs off, just was unsuccessful in getting deletions so I'm waiting until December to be clear of them all. I am new to this, and am genuinely confused as to how Chap 7 BK is treated so much better by the CRAs/CCs. I've been biding my time and paying all my bills on time, dealing with secured cards, etc...and I feel like it's a much slower rebound than those who filed Ch7 BK.

Message 16 of 25
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Barclays is touch and go I would say. I apped for the Apple Reward card a few months ago and was denied. Figured I'd call and recon since I wasted the HP and within 5 minutes I was approved for $1750 (was highest card at the time). I had 2 unpaid collections, one for $145 and one showing up under revolving for $1200. They were both from 2013. They didn't even say anything about or ask anything in regards to the collection. They congratulated me on my timely payments (report shows no Lates), and how well I utilized my accounts.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is my first post here.  I have lurked for about a year, though.

I am kind of bummed, and would like some advice.

About 8 months ago, all my baddies fell off.  I applied for a Cap One Secured.  $99 later and I got $200 CL.  A month later I took a chance and was approved for a Cap One Journey with a $300 limit.  Have been using both since then (AAoA = 6 months).  Balance always paid in full at lest once per month.  Utilization, more often than not is less than 30%.  Score is 663.  Decided to do a spree this week.  Tried for am AMEX Everyday.  Still pending.  Also tried for a  QuicksilverOne and a Platinum.  Insta-declined on both

I don't get it.  I am laready their customer, have already established a decent habit . . . never late, always up to date.  I would think that would be at least something that they would need to review first.  Not insta-declined.  And now I will have pointless hits.

Sucks that I am trying to advance, but the very place I started at won't let me.  Especially when I see people with lower scores, first time applicants, and people coming off Ch. 7 getting insta-approvals.

Now I wait for the letters to tell me why I fail.

So what would your advice be?  Garden for a year until those hits don't matter much?

QuickSilverOne and Platinum are in the same tier as the Journey and Secured offerings.  You can only have two cards in that tier.  If you want more Cap One cards you'd need to either wait until your scores have improved a bit more to qualify for a QuickSilver or see if they'll PC the Journey into a QuickSilver so you can get another lower tier card.

Since your Journey is already a no annual fee card, I wouldn't accept a PC into a QS1 unless they permenantly waive the annual fee for it - unless you'll make enough with the quarter percent difference in cash back to justify the annual fee, but even if you do PC into a QS1 you will still not be able to get another card with Cap One until you qualify for a QS or Venture.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the problem (one of them) is that I've read that Cap One will only let you have 2 cards with them, thus the insta-decline. 

No longer the case.

I have a couple QS cards opened in 2013 and just approved for Venture.

Maybe its dependant on which cards you have. I had two platinum accounts, and was turned down last month for a third QS account, the reason stated was "There are too many Capital One accounts". I have since upgrade the two platinum cards to QS cards. Maybe in a couple of months I'll try again.

I believe the 2 card max refers to their rebuilding credit steps type cards, seems that 5 cards overall now is the magic number at least for being able to collect sign up bonuses.

This. 

I too, somewhat recently (can't remember when exactly, I would guess in the last 3 months) app'd for the QS1 and was denied for too many accounts with Cap One (you can see in my sig, I have a secured Cap One card, of which I only funded $150 of the $600 limit; and a Platinum.) 

I hit that "Modify Features" button probably daily. Waiting for the day I can PC my Platinum to QS1.  But I just wrapped up the credit steps on that card in January, so I am not expecting anything right away, and I'm okay with that. Slow and steady... 

The GOOD news is, when I app'd for the QS1, it was a soft pull since I was already a customer. It should be for you too, OP. So, by all means, recon if you like, but don't  sweat it on account of wasting an HP. Good luck!

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tiger uppercut,, I agree.  I am not trying to offend anybody because sometimes a BK is necessary but I do not understand how easy it is to bounce back and get approved above people who have been trying to do things the right way.  Whatever though.  I am gardening till 2016, will give Barclays one more crack.  I am sure my scores will be in the low 700s be then.  

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.