Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohl's Credit Card ruined my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kohl's Credit Card ruined my credit

Hi Everyone - I have been trying extremely hard to get my credit score up over the past few years...

I had ONE slip up with a Kohls credit card in 2013, for an $21 charge that was 30 days late. I signed up for paperless statements, and didnt pay the $21 bill and after 30 days, Kohl's reported me to all of the credit bureaus

Now my wife and I are applying for a mortgagtee, and this $21 missed payment has taken my credit score down massively to in the low 700's - other than a bit more credit card debt than I should have, I have been on time with everything for years.

Is there anything that I should do, or can do, to get this one ding from Kohl's off my credit report? If so, would help to improve my score?

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kohl's Credit Card ruined my credit

I would send them a GW explaining how you made a simple mistake a while back and how you have been good every since then. Tell them how you appreciate their business and explain how that one negative item is currently causing you to have problems receiving a mortgage offer. Ask if they would be willing to delete the negative information. Good luck!!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone - I have been trying extremely hard to get my credit score up over the past few years...

I had ONE slip up with a Kohls credit card in 2013, for an $21 charge that was 30 days late. I signed up for paperless statements, and didnt pay the $21 bill and after 30 days, Kohl's reported me to all of the credit bureaus

Now my wife and I are applying for a mortgagtee, and this $21 missed payment has taken my credit score down massively to in the low 700's - other than a bit more credit card debt than I should have, I have been on time with everything for years.

Is there anything that I should do, or can do, to get this one ding from Kohl's off my credit report? If so, would help to improve my score?

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!

Yes, send the GW letter to Kohls but also pay down the debt if you have the funds. It will bring your score up and there are tiers for interest rate and mortgage insurance (if applicable) on conventional loans.  The higher your score, the lower the interest rate and lower the PMI rate.  If your LTV is above 80% then there will be a PMI factor. Here is one example of one of the PMI rate cards below.  They are based on LTV and your credit score.

https://www.mgic.com/rates/rate-cards.html

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A single 30 should lose all scoring impact after 24 months. Get your UTI optimized and you should see your scores come up.

Most of us here would kill for 700+ scores.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Soon as I got all my bad stuff removed I'm finally over 700.
Message 6 of 7
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

+1 NormanFH.
hopefully they will help you out with a goodwill, if not then as it ages it not affect your scores as much it will eventually drop off, IIRC my scores were over 700 w/ old baddie on there,but in the end I didn't blame them b/c I did it.. lesson learned and gone..Good Luck to ya !!!!!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.