Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohls adding and reporting on an AU

tag
fixingitohio
Contributor

Kohls adding and reporting on an AU

DW and I have begun the journey in the last month.  We're seeing some positive results with the help of this forum and had a question.

She has a Kohls store card with a stellar payment history (past issues with paid medical collections long time ago, like me, but working on GW).

Utilization is high on it right now, (2800/3100), but it has a spotless 4 year payment history.  We're working on knocking the utilization way down on it.  Hope to pay it down to 5% or less by mid summer.

One of the issues on my reports is "not enough experience with revolving accounts".  

If she added me as an AU on her Kohls card, does anyone know if Kohls/GECRB report to AU reports?

I realize I take the risk in a negative hit on utilization in the short term, but the only other positive revolver is a new WM CC ($400).  Just got a SW alert and a 52 point bump opening that in the past 10 days.  My thought is if we drive down utilization on that card by paying it off in the next month or so, would it report for me too and take my available credit in the utilization calculation up from $400 to $3500, driving my utilization way down plus 4 years of spotless payments and AAoA?

Thoughts appreciated.

Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Kohls adding and reporting on an AU

Yes, you would gain instant history with the CC.  I would not do it until the utilization is way down.

Message 2 of 6
fixingitohio
Contributor

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

@fixingitohio wrote:

DW and I have begun the journey in the last month.  We're seeing some positive results with the help of this forum and had a question.

She has a Kohls store card with a stellar payment history (past issues with paid medical collections long time ago, like me, but working on GW).

Utilization is high on it right now, (2800/3100), but it has a spotless 4 year payment history.  We're working on knocking the utilization way down on it.  Hope to pay it down to 5% or less by mid summer.

One of the issues on my reports is "not enough experience with revolving accounts".  

If she added me as an AU on her Kohls card, does anyone know if Kohls/GECRB report to AU reports?

I realize I take the risk in a negative hit on utilization in the short term, but the only other positive revolver is a new WM CC ($400).  Just got a SW alert and a 52 point bump opening that in the past 10 days.  My thought is if we drive down utilization on that card by paying it off in the next month or so, would it report for me too and take my available credit in the utilization calculation up from $400 to $3500, driving my utilization way down plus 4 years of spotless payments and AAoA?

Thoughts appreciated.

I'm curious if you ended up being added to the Kohls card as an AU?  And if so, how long it took to report a TL to your account?

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 4 of 6
fixingitohio
Contributor

I ended up getting my own account and not adding as an AU

Message 5 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@fixingitohio wrote:

I ended up getting my own account and not adding as an AU

I was hoping that you would do just that. I'm not a fan of using other people's credit to build one's own credit profile. I also believe that scores should not be the objective of a credit rebuilding effort. Build a robust creit profile and the score will follow ... and is sustainable over time.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.