Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOTS of medical collections on wifes report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOTS of medical collections on wifes report

Recently married and focused on fixing our credit history to eventually buy a house.
Well im on the uphill finally but then found out my wife was actually deep in medical bills.
So looking at her credit report showed 16 different collections. All but 2 were medical and showed from 2014.
Are medical collections handled any differently or is it the same deal, ask for a pay to delete.
Do i go through the collection agency or the OC?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: LOTS of medical collections on wifes report

1) You can ask for a PFD but only from the company that's actually reporting the debt. You can't ask the OC for a deletion on a CA's account.
2) You can go to the OC if they still own the debt.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

in my exp, medical colections were the easiest to have removed with payment.  In the last 15 years or so, iv had about 20 medical collections deleted after making payments or settlements.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Recently married and focused on fixing our credit history to eventually buy a house.
Well im on the uphill finally but then found out my wife was actually deep in medical bills.
So looking at her credit report showed 16 different collections. All but 2 were medical and showed from 2014.
Are medical collections handled any differently or is it the same deal, ask for a pay to delete.
Do i go through the collection agency or the OC?
Google the HIPAA Letter Process and follow it exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions PM me.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
She stated that at one point the OC for some of them were willing to set up a payment plan with consolidation with her so ima have her call and ensure that it will also be removed afterwards
Message 5 of 10
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Ok, but she has to have them recall it from the collection agency in order for them to make that agreement

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 7 of 10
KayKay4Se7en

I too am currently in the same situation with the wife. She had about 16 now I have it down to six. Two of them are eligible for the EE in july. Then it will be down to four. Gotta love med bills! 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have a lot of medical debt that was on all three cr.i paid and they were deleted from tu and eq but not from experian i even sent confirmation numbers. When you pay or dispute with one aren't they supposed to update all cr ?
Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Additionally, if you can still get the medical debt paid via insurance, then it will be removed from your credit report under the new policy of the CRAs, as part of their 2015 National Consumer Assistance Plan.  That avoids any need for any other process, such as a PFD agreement or pursuit of the so-called HIPAA process.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.