Re: LVNV Contact

I did and they are.
Message 11 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Leslie,

Here’s what I did.

1. I sent a wire from my bank account to the law firm for the amount. 2 days later, the firm emailed me a letter, which stated that the balance was paid in full, and I was no longer responsible for the debt.

2. I went to Experian’s online dispute, and challenged the presence of the collection saying I wasn’t responsible for it. I submitted the letter from the law firm as proof. Experian deleted the account within 24 hours.

3. Filed a complaint with the BBB that LVNV was still reporting to TransUnion and Equifax, despite the removal by Experian. Submitted the letter from the lawyer’s office as proof that the debt was no longer my responsibility. LVNV deleted the collection items within 5 business days.

4. Filed a complaint against Credit One with the BBB that they were reporting a paid charge off. Submitted the letter from the law firm as evidence. Credit One deleted the item from all 3 bureaus within 5 business days.

I hope that helps.
Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the detailed response. This is extremely helpful and I will try to follow the same process! I can’t pay the full balance all at once but should be able to break it up into 2 payments. Looking forward to getting that paid in full letter so I can get started getting this garbage off my credit report. This has been the worst situation and I have been so anxious for the last few days since I got served with the court summons about the lawsuit.
Message 13 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to help. Good luck. The law firm will accept an installment agreement. Don’t worry. Just make sure they send you a letter once the balance has been satisfied.
Message 14 of 39
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Even though you paid it it can still be reported.  What was your reasoning for disputing it ?

Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I received the letter from the law firm, the letter stated that I was “no longer responsible for the debt”.

I’m not a lawyer, but I thought well if I’m not responsible for it, then it shouldn’t be on my credit report. I have other paid in full letters from collection agencies. They usually say things like “account satisfied” or “balance paid in full”.

So I disputed with Experian and it seems they agreed with me. This might sound crazy, but in my experience being sued and paying the debt through law firms has been easier than working with the collection agencies. For me being sued leads to a removal of the trade lines. Unlike paying collection agencies that won’t delete.

I once had 11 collections, back in February of this year. I’m down to 4 now. One will be deleted once I pay it. The remaining three are with Portfolio Recovery and they won’t budge, although I’ve paid one in full. 🙄
Message 16 of 39
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Who was the company on the report ? LVNV or the law firm ?   

Message 17 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

LVNV was listed on the credit report. The law firms are never on my reports.

So for this particular debt, I had the collection item with LVNV and the charged off account with Credit One.

Now they’re both gone!
Message 18 of 39
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Ok. Thanks.  Same as me.   Again just trying to figure out how LVNV was taken off 

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you’ve paid and you have a letter dispute with Experian.

In my experience, they’ve been easiest to work with. I just go online, file a dispute, submit documentation and within a day usually they make the corrections.

The other two bureaus are a pain ... at least for me.
Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.