Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVNV Funding and possible relief to Maryland residents

tag
MaRain
Regular Contributor

LVNV Funding and possible relief to Maryland residents

I did a quick (meaning not thorough Smiley Happy serach and didn't see this posted so thought I'd share (my apologies if it was). For Maryland residents:

Maryland State Collection Agency Licensing Board Reaches Agreement with LVNV Funding LLC and Resurgent Capital Services

BALTIMORE, MD (July 2, 2012) - Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation, today announced that the Maryland State Collection Agency Licensing Board has reached an agreement with LVNV Funding LLC and Resurgent Capital Services, L.P. to settle alleged violations of federal and state debt collection laws. The settlement includes a voluntary penalty of $1 million payable to the state, agreement to dismiss more than 3,500 cases pending in Maryland district courts having balances of over $7.7 million, and credits totaling over $3.8 million which will be applied to the accounts of over 6,200 consumers whose cases have already been adjudicated or settled. LVNV is a consumer debt purchaser that acquires consumer claims in default, while Resurgent is a collection agency that services the consumer claims owned by LVNV and other business entities. They both are part of the Sherman Financial Group LLC family of companies. The Collection Agency Licensing Board is located within the Office of the Commissioner, a division of Maryland's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

On October 25, 2011, the Agency issued a Summary Order to Cease and Desist and Summary Suspension of Collection Agency Licenses ("Summary Order") against LVNV, Resurgent, and various other affiliated business entities and individuals after the Agency determined that it had reasonable grounds to believe that LVNV and Resurgent had engaged in violations of various Maryland state and federal debt collection laws, including the Maryland Collection Agency Licensing Act, the Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act, and the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Conduct at issue included allegedly engaging in collections activities in Maryland without being properly licensed, employing attorneys that filed false or misleading complaints and supporting affidavits in state courts on their behalf, and misrepresenting the amounts of the claims.

Under the terms of the settlement agreement, LVNV and Resurgent will dismiss without prejudice all pending cases filed in the District Court of Maryland prior to the date of the settlement; will provide restitution for consumers in the form of partial credits in cases in which Respondents obtained judgments, as well as in some cases that Respondents settled with the consumer-defendants prior to judgment. In turn, the collection agency licenses of LVNV and Resurgent are to be fully reinstated, and all other Respondents named in the original Summary Order are to be dismissed from the Agency's action. The settlement agreement is available online on the Commissioner's website.

Unfortunately this does not apply to me since Ilive in California  Smiley Sad

Back in the garden until 10/2015.

Starting Score: EQ 714, EX 658, TU 691 (pulled by mortgage lender on 10/7/14)
Current Score: EQ 656, EX 660, TU 660 (FAKOS pulled on 3/26/15)
Goal Score: EQ 760, EX 700, TU 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MaRain
Regular Contributor

Re: LVNV Funding and possible relief to Maryland residents

Forgot to add:

Settlement Details

All pending debt collection cases filed prior to the Settlement Agreement in the District Courts of Maryland on behalf of any of the Respondents named in the Summary Order, will be dismissed without prejudice. Pursuant to this provision, 3,564 cases are being dismissed without prejudice, and the amount claimed in these cases totals $7,770,564. Respondents will be able to re-file these cases, if appropriate, or continue to collect through traditional means.

For all judgments in debt collection cases ordered by the District Courts of Maryland, Respondents will provide restitution to the consumers in the form of a credit for all pre-judgment interest plus attorneys' fees awarded by the court, with credits being applied to the account balance as of March 12, 2012. If the credit exceeds the balance remaining on the consumers' account, the account shall be considered satisfied in full as of that date. There are 5,793 consumers entitled to credits pursuant to this provision, and the amount of all such credits totals $3,609,367.

For all debt collection cases filed in the District Court of Maryland on behalf of any of the Respondents in which Respondents reached a settlement upon stipulated terms with the Maryland consumer, prior to a judgment being entered by the court, Respondents will provide restitution to the consumer by crediting their accounts with the total amount of the settlement that exceeds the amount claimed by the plaintiffs, which is the amount sued for in the case excluding any interest, attorney fees and court costs, with the credits being applied to the account balance as of March 12, 2012. There are 453 consumers entitled to credits pursuant to this provision, and the amount of all such credits totals $235,824.

Message 2 of 5
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@MaRain wrote:

I did a quick (meaning not thorough Smiley Happy serach and didn't see this posted so thought I'd share (my apologies if it was). For Maryland residents:

Maryland State Collection Agency Licensing Board Reaches Agreement with LVNV Funding LLC and Resurgent Capital Services

BALTIMORE, MD (July 2, 2012) - Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation, today announced that the Maryland State Collection Agency Licensing Board has reached an agreement with LVNV Funding LLC and Resurgent Capital Services, L.P. to settle alleged violations of federal and state debt collection laws. The settlement includes a voluntary penalty of $1 million payable to the state, agreement to dismiss more than 3,500 cases pending in Maryland district courts having balances of over $7.7 million, and credits totaling over $3.8 million which will be applied to the accounts of over 6,200 consumers whose cases have already been adjudicated or settled. LVNV is a consumer debt purchaser that acquires consumer claims in default, while Resurgent is a collection agency that services the consumer claims owned by LVNV and other business entities. They both are part of the Sherman Financial Group LLC family of companies. The Collection Agency Licensing Board is located within the Office of the Commissioner, a division of Maryland's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

On October 25, 2011, the Agency issued a Summary Order to Cease and Desist and Summary Suspension of Collection Agency Licenses ("Summary Order") against LVNV, Resurgent, and various other affiliated business entities and individuals after the Agency determined that it had reasonable grounds to believe that LVNV and Resurgent had engaged in violations of various Maryland state and federal debt collection laws, including the Maryland Collection Agency Licensing Act, the Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act, and the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Conduct at issue included allegedly engaging in collections activities in Maryland without being properly licensed, employing attorneys that filed false or misleading complaints and supporting affidavits in state courts on their behalf, and misrepresenting the amounts of the claims.

Under the terms of the settlement agreement, LVNV and Resurgent will dismiss without prejudice all pending cases filed in the District Court of Maryland prior to the date of the settlement; will provide restitution for consumers in the form of partial credits in cases in which Respondents obtained judgments, as well as in some cases that Respondents settled with the consumer-defendants prior to judgment. In turn, the collection agency licenses of LVNV and Resurgent are to be fully reinstated, and all other Respondents named in the original Summary Order are to be dismissed from the Agency's action. The settlement agreement is available online on the Commissioner's website.

Unfortunately this does not apply to me since Ilive in California  Smiley Sad

Wish i could find that for the State of Kansas!!

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 3 of 5
MaRain
Regular Contributor

I decided to look up different collection agencies who were ordered to cease collections/etc so that I could use it to clean up my credit faster. Maybe there should be (or already is?) a topic where folks could list those that they find. If I find a few more, I just might Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
jlp429
New Visitor

I got a judgment from LVNV back in 2008 and wondering what my options are. It is still showing on my CR. 

Please advise, thanks. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.