Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVNV Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LVNV Question

Thank you everyone for the wealth of information that is contained within this forum. I have learned so much just by spending the short amount of time here that I have. But as usual I have a question about the notorious outfit known as LVNV. Back in 2012 I was served with papers to appear in court regarding an HSBC/Best Buy account. It was Capital One that was suing me. I promptly called Cap one regarding being served and was told by their rep that they would investigate why I was being served and call me back. I never heard back from Cap one, but a few days later I received a letter in the mail stating that the case against me had been dropped. I called Cap One and wast told the case case was dropped due to a mix up. Last I heard of it until I pulled my credit reports. LVNV is reporting  the same debt that Cap One dropped. I never received anything from LVNV, but as I stated Cap One dropped the case, removed the negative trade lines and vanished. I received a settlement offer from some company First National collection  Bureau last week. They aren't reporting but LVNV is. SO DV'ed both LVNV  and First National. What recourse do I have here? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: LVNV Question

I hope you still have that letter.  If you do, dispute it as not owed and send a copy of that letter showing it was dropped and why.  I have had a couple collections show up and had them removed by showing documenation the collection wasn't legit.  Without that documentation, wait until they dv it and see what they come up with.   

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with minsof4.

However, remaining is the issue of what to do if they dont respond to your DV.  They are under no time period in which to provide the requested validation.

If you dont have the prior paperwork when you were served, do you at least remember the name of the court?

If so, then I would contact the office of the clerk of that court, who may be able to provide you with the relevant case papers.

As a last resort, do you have old billing statements from the account that might show that the accuont was never delinquent?

Since LVNV has reported, they were required to have obtained and provided the DOFD to the CRA.

What is the DOFD that they reported?  That might trigger some recollection of when a first delinquency may or may not have actually occured.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The paper work I received was from the courthouse. It just stated that the case against me was dropped. I don't have the letter but I can go to the court house and speak with the clerk. The debt is from 2009 and that was the year I got divorced. So I know that the debt is probably mine just had a lot going on and forgot about it. Lookin at it now,  I'm wondering if Cap One bought the debt from HSBC, tried to sue me for it and didn't have the evidence to hold up in court, then turned around and sold it to LVNV who has sat on it because they to don't have enough information to sue either.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dealth with LVNV before and paid to get them off my back. They were pretty aggressive. Just paid it to avoid judgment. 

Your situation is different, however, so YMMV. Mine was an HSBC Best Buy account too. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.