Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVNV Threatening to Garnish on Old Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LVNV Threatening to Garnish on Old Debt

First time on this board. Will give you all some brief history.  My husband and I paid an attorney in 2004 to file a bankruptcy only to have the attorney take the money and run. Last payment made on any of that debt was May or June of 2004. Over the next several years we were garnished twice, sent debt validation letters and whatever we could think of to do we did. In 2008 I did a credit check on my husband and found that he had several old tax liens and each CRA had him listed under three different names. It took 2 years but all was removed except experian would not remove the other two names. In any case in 2012 after having done another credit check all was good. No negatives and his score was at 690. So we bought a used truck which we are paying on now. So since 2004 we have had one secured card thru capital one. We closed that this year and applied for a regular credit credit and got that. So right now we have a credit card and a truck loan and that is it. Our score is now 715.

Last friday my husband was served with papers. The papers were by an attorney representing LVNV. The letter states that my husband owes them $2200 dollars and that he has 20 days to respond or they will take him to court for a garnishment. The letter also states that LVNV recently purchased this debt from Springleaf Financial Services. No where in the papers does it give any details as to how they came up with the $2200, who the origional  creditor was, or any other information. The letter looks like actual court documents with LVNV as the plantiff. However they have two names for my husband and Jane doe as his spouse. The names happen to be the names I fought so hard to have removed from CRA'S. So my guess is that this is an old debt that we owed back in 2004 but to whom I can not say. Neither one of those companies has shown up on either one of our CR's for the last two years. In 2004 here in the state of Washington the SOL was 3 years but was changed to 6 in 2007. In any case the SOL for this would be up right? Since we have had okay credit with no probems for the last two years we have disposed of most if not all of any paperwork pertaining to old accounts from 2004. I do know though if we do not respond the law says that the collection company can assume the debt is our. Is this legal since SOL is up? Do we need to respond on something they can not legally collect on? If we respond then they will start reporting on this again is my thought. What is our approach? I am livid and thinking about hiring an attorney. Thank you for any help you can provide on this!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: LVNV Threatening to Garnish on Old Debt

Before they can get a garnishment they have to have a judgement first. The garnishment must refer to a judgement somewhere. Contact the court where the judgement was obtained and by all means GO TO COURT to fight it, if its really not your debt. You may have to consult a lawyer.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and the 3 year SOL does not apply to judgements...

Message 3 of 11
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Wow, what a story especially the attorney .... unscrupulous.  I'm sorry you are having to go through this, and welcome to  place where you will get a wealth of info from others who have been there.

I'm fairly new, however, from what I've read you are right about having to respond to the summons, because LVNV would be able to get a judgment against you if you didn't.  I'm not sure how it works, but isn't the owness on them to show that this debt is indeed valid and not past the statute of limitations???  I agree that having a shred of evidence in your favor would help, do you have any old credit reports that show this debt?  I've read that sometimes lenders will run a thorough credit report - like from the dawn of time before one had credit to present day...since nothing seems to go away just surpressed....I don't know how "factual" this is.  I read it in the mortgage boards upstairs, but perhaps this could be a way for you to find this old debt and prove that it is beyond the SOL.  

Good luck to you!  I know others with more experience will probably chime in Smiley Wink

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alienfico wrote:

Wow, what a story especially the attorney .... unscrupulous.  I'm sorry you are having to go through this, and welcome to  place where you will get a wealth of info from others who have been there.

I'm fairly new, however, from what I've read you are right about having to respond to the summons, because LVNV would be able to get a judgment against you if you didn't.  I'm not sure how it works, but isn't the owness on them to show that this debt is indeed valid and not past the statute of limitations???  I agree that having a shred of evidence in your favor would help, do you have any old credit reports that show this debt?  I've read that sometimes lenders will run a thorough credit report - like from the dawn of time before one had credit to present day...since nothing seems to go away just surpressed....I don't know how "factual" this is.  I read it in the mortgage boards upstairs, but perhaps this could be a way for you to find this old debt and prove that it is beyond the SOL.  

Good luck to you!  I know others with more experience will probably chime in Smiley Wink

No, the defendant MUST show up and claim SOL defense. The plaintiff is not required to do anything other than claim the money is owed, if the defendant does not show. Its not up to the court to stand up for the defendant - their purpose is to make the decision, not help one side or the other.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry my mistake. They are attempting to get a judgement. There isn't one yet. Its my understanding if we don't respond within their timeframe they will then take us to  court to try and get a judgement. But so I understand this right. So collection agencies can continue to sell this debt for the next who knows how many years and each time a new company buys this debt they can threaten to take us to court and try and get a  judgement. A friend just last month showed me the exact same papers but different collection company. In their paperwork the attorney does give an itemized list as to who the money was origionally owed, how much was owed, attorney fees, filing fees, interests and the whole nine yards. There is nothing like this in the paperwork we received. Like I said I'm not sure who this money was origionally owed to because they make no mention of that. Any company can demand money but without some explanation why would anyone pay. This has to be for something from 2004 is my point and the SOL would be up. Should we send a debt validation letter or what?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they send an actual summons? or is it just a threatening letter? You need to determine when this debt was defaulted and if it was more than six years ago, then you NEED to go to court and affirm an SOL defense.

Message 7 of 11
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@alienfico wrote:

No, the defendant MUST show up and claim SOL defense. The plaintiff is not required to do anything other than claim the money is owed, if the defendant does not show. Its not up to the court to stand up for the defendant - their purpose is to make the decision, not help one side or the other.

Maybe my response wasn't as clear.  I would never suggest that someone blow off a summons, so with that in mind Yes, I totally agree that has to happen, she has to respond to the summons and state  that the debt is out of SOL, however, isn't the burden of proof on the plaintiff to demonstrate to the court that this debt is within SOL, once she exerts her out of SOL defense?  In otherwords, doesn't LVNV need to have some proof in the form of records, DoFD, when it was charged off, when they purchased the debt to demonstrate to the court that the debt is still within SOL?  

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alienfico wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@alienfico wrote:

Yes, I totally agree that has to happen, she has to state it is out of SOL, however, isn't the burden of proof on the plaintiff to demonstrate to the court that this debt is within SOL, once she exerts her out of SOL defense?  In otherwords, doesn't LVNV need to have some proof in the form of records, DoFD, when it was charged off, when they purchased the debt to demonstrate to the court that the debt is still within SOL?  

If the defendant does not show or file a timely response, in most courts it is considered a default and the Plaintiff is entitled to a default judgment. If the defendant responds to the lawsuit (and potentially shows up as well on the court date if not resolved before), the defendant can raise the SOL as a defense. Once raised, the SOL defense could potentially result in a judgment for defendant or a dismissal of the case with prejudice. Unless raised, the court will not consider the defense because often "default judgments" are entered by the court clerk. Moreover, choosing to ignore a summons and not respond could result in a default judgment that might not be something you can challenge based on SOL (but can challenge based on service/etc). To make a long story short, unless an attorney advises you otherwise, generally best to present a defense and not just rely on the court looking into the SOL (in a few courts defaults are not available, like in small claims court in CA, and the court might look into SOL without a defendant raising it).

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alienfico wrote:

Yes, I totally agree that has to happen, she has to state it is out of SOL, however, isn't the burden of proof on the plaintiff to demonstrate to the court that this debt is within SOL, once she exerts her out of SOL defense?  In otherwords, doesn't LVNV need to have some proof in the form of records, DoFD, when it was charged off, when they purchased the debt to demonstrate to the court that the debt is still within SOL?  

Yes, SOL is considered an 'affirmative' defense and it is up to the plaintiff to prove otherwise.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.