Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of Installment Loan???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lack of Installment Loan???

I have some student loans that are reporting on my credit report but for some of my credit denials one of the reasons I see for denial is lack of installment loan...I was able to take out a personal loan for $2300.  When this reports will this help my credit score just from reporting?  Also, should I make a large payment up front on this loan so that it shows a lower balance and then make my small monthy payments?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Lack of Installment Loan???

@Anonymous wrote:

I have some student loans that are reporting on my credit report but for some of my credit denials one of the reasons I see for denial is lack of installment loan...I was able to take out a personal loan for $2300.  When this reports will this help my credit score just from reporting?  Also, should I make a large payment up front on this loan so that it shows a lower balance and then make my small monthy payments?

It's hard to say if you will get an increase or not. Some do, some dont..just a YMMV thing. The large payment up front won't hurt anything, that's for sure Smiley Very Happy Just make sure you get some payment history out of it. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't undrstand that.

Student Loans are considered installment loans; at least in my experience.

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Open student loans are installment loans, if they are closed then its as if you have none. If you took out the loan I would not be prepaying it like you suggest it would defeat the purpose of the loan. When it initially reports you are liable to get a Fico score decrease for the new loan, those points will be recovered in about 6 months. The real benes of the installment loan dont occur until you are into your last year and when it finally is paid off you are liable to lose 20-30 points in fico 8.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten denied for a couple of credit cards and it says one of the reasons for denial is lack of recent installment loan information. But I have a student loan I pay on every month.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've gotten denied for a couple of credit cards and it says one of the reasons for denial is lack of recent installment loan information. But I have a student loan I pay on every month.

Is the student loan reporting to all three credit bureaus? Maybe it is possible that it is not and the card issuer pulled the score at the bureau it is not reporting at.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.