Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laid low for too long (no file exists)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Laid low for too long (no file exists)

After a nasty divorce, I laid low on the credit scene for a very long time. Canceled cards and tried to avoid any inquiries that might update my information. My ex had access to credit reports through his job and would have very likely come looking for me.

Apparently, I did so for too long. It is now 13 years later and I am remarried. I just went to see what my score might be and discovered I no longer exist according to all three agencies, searching with full SSN, as well as married, previous married, and maiden names. CreditKarma even failed to find anything using photos of my drivers license front and back.

Is this possible? To even have the ‘front jacket’ or header of your credit report fall off? If so, what now? Before I got tangled up in that divorce, I had a respectable score and was proud of it as I had rebuilt after I had some medical collections in my 20s. Now, I’m 45 and a SAHM, with no individual income. Everything is in my husband’s name. Are there any credit products available that can help build credit up from nothing, but don’t require an income test? TIA
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Laid low for too long (no file exists)

I heard somewhere that if you closed all of your accounts that you wouldn't have a credit report after 6 months.  I wasn't able to confirm that with a few searches but there is likely some period of time where it will go away with no accounts.

I would either open up a secured card or get your husband to add you as an authorized user on a couple of his cards with good payments.  Either of those should give you a credit report and decent score enough to eventually get your own cards.

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Laid low for too long (no file exists)

@Anonymous wrote:
After a nasty divorce, I laid low on the credit scene for a very long time. Canceled cards and tried to avoid any inquiries that might update my information. My ex had access to credit reports through his job and would have very likely come looking for me.

Apparently, I did so for too long. It is now 13 years later and I am remarried. I just went to see what my score might be and discovered I no longer exist according to all three agencies, searching with full SSN, as well as married, previous married, and maiden names. CreditKarma even failed to find anything using photos of my drivers license front and back.

Is this possible? To even have the ‘front jacket’ or header of your credit report fall off? If so, what now? Before I got tangled up in that divorce, I had a respectable score and was proud of it as I had rebuilt after I had some medical collections in my 20s. Now, I’m 45 and a SAHM, with no individual income. Everything is in my husband’s name. Are there any credit products available that can help build credit up from nothing, but don’t require an income test? TIA

Yes its possible for the entire file to disappear after this length of time with no credit activity. As far as income you can use your husbands as yours if you have access to it. He can add you as an AU to an old account that he has that doesnt have much of a balance on it to help jump start you. Once you have your own credit again you can be removed as AU. It takes 6 months to build a Fico score from nothing so you wouldnt want to be removed until you generate your own score. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.