cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Larger Rental Deposit or Pay off 8 collections?

tag
Blitz1030
Valued Member

Larger Rental Deposit or Pay off 8 collections?

I have 8 collections left on my credit report totalling $1529.  We will are looking to move in 2 1/2 months.  We currently have enough saved up $4800 for three months rent (3 * $1600) as we had to put up a double deposit last time we moved.  

Trying to decide if I should use $1529 to pay off my debt or do PFDs or stay the safe route and keep the money for a larger deposit if needed.  I also know paying off things may make them current and possibly hurt my score.  

Any suggestions?   

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Larger Rental Deposit or Pay off 8 collections?

@Blitz1030 wrote:

I have 8 collections left on my credit report totalling $1529.  We will are looking to move in 2 1/2 months.  We currently have enough saved up $4800 for three months rent (3 * $1600) as we had to put up a double deposit last time we moved.  

Trying to decide if I should use $1529 to pay off my debt or do PFDs or stay the safe route and keep the money for a larger deposit if needed.  I also know paying off things may make them current and possibly hurt my score.  

Any suggestions?   

If you cannot get a PFD and the corresponding TL hasnt updated in awhile when it does it will drop your Fico score. I would try working things out with the OCs and get them to recall the collectors in exchange for payment. If any of these are medical a different process would be used

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.