cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last Medical Collection Gone, but no points???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last Medical Collection Gone, but no points???

So my last medical collection is gone from my reports as of this morning, BUT NO POINT GAIN??? What universe does this scoring model come from? This was actually an OPEN collection account less than 1 year old. I fought tooth and nail with both the CA and OC to get this removed, a month long battle due to an insurance billing error. How could my scores not change a bit???

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Last Medical Collection Gone, but no points???

Was the original balance under $100 (not the collection balance). If so, it wasn't used in your score calculations. If you had it under dispute, it might have been exempted from scoring also.

Just be glad it's gone. Scores grow with time.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it was $291 and not disputed. That is why I am disappointed to say the least. The scoring model is so screwed up. I also noticed a couple of months ago that after I did a PFD on a 6 yr old charge off, my score dropped because it caused my AAoA to decrease. How messed up is that? So are we to believe that an old charge off is better left on our reports? I hope the day comes when some common sense is applied to this process. It is very frustrating to work so hard on cleaning things up only to see no real benefit.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I happen to me too when i got my last collection removed, no point gain. But look at the bright side you have no collection in your file, so increasing score will come as time goes by. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It actually happened to me before.  I paid a charge off but left it on my credit report instead of a deletion.  It bothered me so I did a Goodwill and got it deleted.  As soon as it was gone, my score dropped because it was actually one of my oldest accounts reported.

In the short term, losing those points hurt but in the grand scheme of things, it left me with a clean slate to rebuild my credit upon.

A paid chargeoff on a person with a very low score or no history seems to add points but there is a point of diminishing returns.  Once your score is higher, those paid charge offs start pulling down your score as a derogatory.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.