Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Pay Removals

tag
mamatried
Contributor

Late Pay Removals

I had a Perkins loan from 10 years ago that had gone into default. Several years ago, I rehabbed the loan, but I had two or three late pays over the last two years. The last late pay was about a year ago. Last week I e-mailed the college servicing the loan to ask if they would remove the lates as I am working to rebuild my credit, have paid off all old collections and am trying to raise my score to qualify for a mortgage in the next year. Today they responded and agreed as long as I confirmed my info on file was up to date and added a family member who does not live with me. Woo! 

There was some confusion last fall where they misreported 2 lates that they quickly removed so I don't forsee any issues. I'm excited to see what this does to my score when the lates drop off. 

Something I wish my older self could tell my younger self, don't hide from creditors. Talk to them, be honest with them and ask them for help. Since I decided to start cleaning up my disaster, everyone I've talked to has been absolutely lovely. I'd also tell my younger self to stay away from credit cards, pay bills on time and save more... but my younger self would of been way to cool to listen to anything like that... Smiley Wink

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mamatried
Contributor

Re: Late Pay Removals

Yes! They just confirmed my credit file will update next week and offered to provide me with a letter if I needed something quicker. It's amazing how much progress that can be made once you shake off the fear and just get down to business. Woo!

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. You are so correct. Sometimes fear is the greatest enemy. But once we shake it off, progress can be made. In fact, the real enemy is a lack of knowledge and insight. But once you learn how the system works and how to manipulate it as much as it manipulates you, then you can be successful and progress rapidly. 

Knowledge is power. "In all thy getting, get understanding." That's a quote from Proverbs, I shall always remember. Get understanding and gain your freedom. 

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Well done Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome!

In my wallet: Venture 15k; Barclay Ring 12.5k; Discover 10k; CareCredit 7.7k; Amazon Store Card 5k. QS 5k; BofA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BofA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BofA Platinum Visa 2k; Barclay Apple Rewards 2k. Total Credit: 66,200. 7/2-FICO: EQ - 788; TU - 777; EX - 690; GOAL: 780 across the board then 800 across the board. Inquiries: EQ: 7 TU: 7; EX 7; Chapter 13 seven years May, 2015. Reset my garden date to 6/27. Gardening until further notice.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.