Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lates After Bankruptcy Filing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lates After Bankruptcy Filing?

I'm not sure if i could double post, I'm new to the site and posted this over on the Bankruptcy board...

I  am attempting to clean up my reports after Chapter 7. I filed on 1/31/2013. Discharge was 5/2013.

Experian is the only one reporting lates AFTER filing (as well as 30-day lates for the month of 1/2013, some even 12/12). EQ and TU have NO lates being reported. How can I get this updated and removed with Experian? I also had a collection pop up in 2014 on an account the was IIB. Can I get this off my reports as well? The collection is listed, however the status states the debt was included in IIB.

my scores are as follow:

EQ: 653
EX: 640
TU: 642

I have great payment history even prior to filing, however the loss of my employment and depletion of emergency funds led me to file ; I am trying to get into the 700's before the summer. My scores were in the 800's when I filed

Current positive accounts:
Barclay Rewards CC
Quicksilver CC
J Crew CC
Two successful paid in full auto loans with toyota and hundyai financial services

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Lates after Bankruptcy

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the site and am attempting to clean up my reports after Chapter 7. I filed on 1/31/2013. Discharge was 5/2013.

Experian is the only one reporting lates AFTER filing (as well as 30-day lates for the month of 1/2013, some even 12/12). EQ and TU have NO lates being reported. How can I get this updated and removed with Experian? I also had a collection pop up in 2014 on an account the was IIB. Can I get this off my reports as well? The collection is listed, however the status states the debt was included in IIB.

my scores are as follow:

EQ: 653

EX: 640

TU: 642

I have great payment history even prior to filing, however the loss of my employment and depletion of emergency funds led me to file Smiley Sad ; I am trying to get into the 700's before the summer. My scores were in the 800's when I filed 

Current positive accounts:

Barclay Rewards CC

Quicksilver CC

J Crew CC

Two successful paid in full auto loans with toyota and hundyai financial services

Thanks in advance!

If your tradelines are IIB with $0 balances, then at least that would be correct reporting. I don't know of any way to change payment history report that occured prior to your discharge.

Message 2 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Lates After Bankruptcy Filing?

No need to double post. Most folks ready both forum sections. This probably is the more approritate section than the bankruptcy section as your issue is really about credit rebuilding.

Message 3 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I had the same problem with Experian and only Experian, like you TU & EQ were clean, no lates, IIB $0 bal. I've read here that if you were late prior to filing it is legal for them to continue reporting late after filing, but I disputed every one of them on Experian's web site, saying "I filed Ch 7 BK on (date), and as of that date this debt was under the protection of a stay by a U.S. federal court. Reporting payments as being late after that date is an attempt to collect a debt that was under the protection and jurisdiction of the U.S. Federal court system".  The creditors all responded quickly by removing all lates, prior & post filing. Same thing with that collection - dispute it as an attempt to collect a debt that was under the protection and jurisdiction of the U.S. Federal court system.

"An attempt to collect a debt" strikes fear into the hearts of most creditors. I didn't reaffirm a mortgage that I'm still paying on, and 4 years post discharge they still refuse to take my payment from my bank account by auto debit, I have to send the $$ to them, because they say "taking the money from your bank account can be considered an attempt to collect a discharged debt".

Message 4 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Cross posting in other forums is something we dont want to have done, you should post in the most relevant forum for your question. I have asked the mods to delete one of these. No problem since you are new, welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much! In your dispute, did you attached your filing and discharge paperwork to confirm? Or did you just dispute it without attaching info?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks

Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

No doubling down!  Lol. That is inaccurate reporting.  Once the debt is discharged, there is nothing to be late on.  I would start with a direct dispute.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, I'm new. Didn't know about the double posting or where exactly this would fall under.

Thank you for the advice! I'll start with a dispute Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks so much! In your dispute, did you attached your filing and discharge paperwork to confirm? Or did you just dispute it without attaching info?

I just disputed without providing/attaching any info - my BK7 filing & discharge dates were already correctly reporting on EX, so they knew what I was saying was correct with respect to when those debt came under the jurisdiction for the federal courts and creditors by law had to ceases and disist any attempts to collect the debts.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.