cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lawsuit/Settlement Question, need advice please.

tag
emejia317

Lawsuit/Settlement Question, need advice please.

Hello everyone-

I obtained a private student loan ~ 8 yrs ago, went to National Collegiate Trust/AES [I am supuer confused, is AES and NCT the same thing?]  from the original Lender and then to "A" C.A. I was doing monthly payments to this C.A., then suddenly they dissapeared, then a new C.A. "Law Offices of Patenaude & Felix" in California bought this loan.  Now, they are suing me.

I talked to them yesterday and they told me that I have different options for them to put the lawsuit aside, one is to get myself on a payment plan and one is to do a settlement.  I have 30 days to do this since I received this lawsuit papers 4 days ago.  The amount is for ~$12-000-13000 

I am very confused on what to do here.

Should I contact National Collegiate Trust/AES and see if they can work with me now that I have a job and work on a payment plan/settlement?  Should I work a payment plan with the new C.A. or do a settlement?

How much should I offer them?  Is there a document I can read on settlement stuff?

I dont want this sue to go on, so I want to do something in the next week.   As I said, I am pretty clueless on which option to take here. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance, 

Mikey

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Lawsuit/Settlement Question, need advice please.

Message 2 of 23
Elcid89
Contributor

You should contact an attorney (I am not admitted to the bar in CA), but general advice:

If this actually was a private student loan (as opposed to a federally guaranteed loan), then the SOL has run out in CA.  Third party debt collectors have to sue you in the state in which you reside, which I am assuming is California. Any suit will be deflected by that defense.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 3 of 23
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You would have to find the DoFD in order to determine if it has passed the SOL. Just because the loan was acquired 8 years ago doesn't mean that's when the clock started
Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 23
Elcid89
Contributor

He states in his OP that the loan went to a third party from his original lender 8 years ago. In his case, what would determine the SOL would be the DOLA.

He really needs to speak to an attorney in his own state.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 5 of 23
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

For that amount of money, I agree. He really needs professional legal advice. But still, he needs the DoFD. The DoLA has nothing to do with it. He said he was making payments. Did he sign an agreement plan? If so, this starts the debt anew.
July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 23
DaBears
Senior Contributor

OP what state did you reside in or currently living?

Message 7 of 23
Elcid89
Contributor

@Shogun wrote:
For that amount of money, I agree. He really needs professional legal advice. But still, he needs the DoFD. The DoLA has nothing to do with it. He said he was making payments. Did he sign an agreement plan? If so, this starts the debt anew.

My concern was his exposure to the suit. Making a payment, or even a promise to pay, restarts the SOL in most states. If he has been making payments inside the hypothetical SOL, he's probably exposed now where he otherwise wouldn't have been.

My advice to people with old debts that are outside SOL is pretty much to ignore them if you can't get rid of them. That way, in the event that a CA does bring suit, you have an affirmative defense.

Message 8 of 23
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

That was my point also. He said he was making payments, so this may not be past the SOL I'm thinking we have the same idea, I just don't have the lawyer speak. Smiley Happy
July 2013 score:

Message 9 of 23
Elcid89
Contributor

@Shogun wrote:
That was my point also. He said he was making payments, so this may not be past the SOL I'm thinking we have the same idea, I just don't have the lawyer speak. Smiley Happy

I tend to agree. He is inside SOL with the collector that he has been makling payments to. Some states do not factor that into the SOL with regard to a subsequent party. In other words, his original collector could sue, but he has no resetting event with the subsequent collector, so their ability to litigate would hinge on the DOFD. It really depends on which state he's in, which we do need to know.

Best advice is for him to consult an attorney in his own state though. I'm only admitted in NY and NJ, so I hesitate to give advice on here beyond the basic.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.