cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lawyer for debt collector asking for my budget after offering settlement?

tag
Jbthomp

Lawyer for debt collector asking for my budget after offering settlement?

Hello I am in negotiations with a lawyers office who is representing a JDB on a collection account I have with them. The amount they are collecting is around 2k. I offered them 650 the other day and they sent me a sheet to fill out that has my income and all my expenses on it basically they want me to tell them what my bills are and how much I make. What would they need this information for? Should I tell them the truth or try to make it look like I am barely getting by? Would they have any way of finding out?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Lawyer for debt collector asking for my budget after offering settlement?

Message 2 of 13
Jbthomp

Less than 4 years.
Message 3 of 13
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I would not lie about income and expenses. They are asking for that to see if you can make the full payment. Is it out of your state SOL?

Message 4 of 13
Jbthomp

No its still in sol I just wasn't sure why they would need to know my budget.
Message 5 of 13
starry1
Valued Contributor

I would not give them that information, but that's me (but I am a paralegal).  Anything you produce to them can later be used in court.  Also, this is a JDB, and you have no idea what they might do with that information, and as this lawyer's client, they are entitled to any and all information the lawyer generates.  

This request is basically asking you to respond to interrogatories, and they are NOT entitled to that information outside of a lawsuit.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 6 of 13
Jbthomp

What should I do? They have sued me before on a different debt so I'm sure they would do it again. I'm just looking to be done with it. I figured if I offered a settlement amount in a lump sum they would negotiate. There is no lawsuit as of now and I would like to keep it that way.
Message 7 of 13
Bleu
Contributor

What kind of scum bag lawyer sues for a 2k debt? I wouldnt give any information. Period. You sued me last time so you know i dont have the money.

Message 8 of 13
Jbthomp

Pech Hughes and McDonald and yes they are scumbags
Message 9 of 13
starry1
Valued Contributor

Just politely tell them that you are not comfortable providing that information.  They're just trying to scare you  into thinking they won't settle unless you roll over and give them whatever they want.  Trust me, they want to settle as much as you do.  They do not want to go to court because that costs them time and money.  Ask them if they will accept your offer or provide a counter-offer.  But it's your issue and 100% up to you want to do with the info i have provided.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.