cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lawyer says this counts as validation, bleh.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lawyer says this counts as validation, bleh.

So I've been fighting with PRA to get this account off my report, and I contacted a local lawyer to discuss my next step since they never answered my DV with my requested information, just a "Name of Creditor, Date opened, Date sold, Account holder name, Account holder address, Balance" letter.  I specifically asked for the creditor's address and information regarding the account including how they came to the balance due.

Lawyer said that all they have to do is verify the debt and that counts.  So what now?  I guess I can just do a FOAD and hope the thing doesn't bother my credit too much for the next 3.5 years.  This sucks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lawyer says this counts as validation, bleh.

Is the attorney a consumer attorney? If so, then the information provided to you by PRA is probably as complete as you will receive. If the account is still within SOL sending a FOAD letter will likely land you in court.

Do you disagree with the debt information provided to you by PRA - is it accurate? 

Message 2 of 4
jbh
Established Contributor

Are they reporting phantom payments? (In Experien, check 'recent payment' section)

They do that for me and I will be fighting that. They sent me the same thing and some disagree that constitutes validation. It's really hard to say for sure but you'd want to err on the side of caution, obviously.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The info from PRA is about an account I have no idea where it came from.  First they were saying that the account address was one that I hadn't lived at in 7 years, then they said it was my current address which I haven't lived at for more than a year, and the DOLA is Nov 2004.  In SC, SOL is 3 years as far as I'm aware.  Thankfully no phantom payments.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.