Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal to say this in a small claim for credit debt

tag
improvent363
New Contributor

Legal to say this in a small claim for credit debt

clear lake, Iowa

Credit debt is 2 year old, $2,600 and plaintiff is an attorney law firm not debt buyer.

I denied the claim on the answer form because I do not agree with the claim amount.

Anyway, Will it get me into legal trouble If I also say, as defense on small claim trial, that I want the plaintiff to prove that each and every charge on the credit card was authorized by me?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Re: Legal to say this in a small claim for credit debt

Good luck with that one! If Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

You ought to consult with an attorney about that. If those charges were really made by you, and you are somehow disputing the validity of those transactions, it sounds like you are committing fraud. This is my guess though....I'm not an attorney so I may be very wrong.

There are legal aids that offer free legal advice.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 10
andre181
Established Contributor

If you think a charge is not yours, its your responsibilty to tell the creditor that the charge was fraudlent. Its not their responsibilty to investigate it otherwise. If you haven't complained about a charge, they know its yours, otherwise you would've called them immediately, years later after its going to court.

Also, if you look in your cardmember agreement, I'm willing to bet that there is a clause that after 60 days from the transaction date, if you haven't called them to report suspicous activity, you've acknowledged that the charge is yours/was authorized by you. 

Nice try though. 

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Check your statute of limitations.
In Texas, it's only two years.
If you have any money to pay, you could offer them a settle IF they delete the tradeline.
OR if you feel the charges are erroneous, dispute the acct with the CRA. Seems to me $2600 would not be worth the time to sue someone, but then again- Im guessing law work is tough these days.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Four* not two lol... There's a debt sol online by state. Also check your state's wage garnishment laws. Some states allow judgements to get wage garnishments.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 10
improvent363
New Contributor

well can I elect  arbitratation for this small claim in court trial as defense? If so how do I do it?

Message 7 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

This will depend on the statutes for your state / county, etc...

I'd suggest consulting an attorney or calling the court and asking them.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 10
improvent363
New Contributor

Can I ask the judge (on the court trial date) for reschedule of the trial because I didn't find an attorney since my court trial date is on september 9. Will that work for defense? (I will say that I couldnt find in the alloted time that was given me and also because didn't realize that I really needed one)

Message 9 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's better than not showing up to court, which will almost certainly result in a default judgment against you.

No idea whether you'll be successful or even be able to request a postponement though.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.