cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter from OC, charge off, what does it mean?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Letter from OC, charge off, what does it mean?

I received a letter from OC that read as follows: 

"Thank you fro contacting us regarding the above referenced account issued by *******. 

We have been unable to contact you by phone regarding concerns of recent account activity. We have been unable to verify certain information on your account. 

Please contact us at xxx-xxx-xxxx to provide the necessary information to complete our investigation. 

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you in resolving this matter."

This OC is reporting as a charged off account DOFD is 11/2012.There is no collection agency reporting for this tradeline. 

I completed an online dispute(as not mine) for this account several days ago, as the account number was not matching the last bill I received from them, which was years ago. 

If I do not respond to this letter is there any chance it will be deleted? What would be "your" next move? 

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Letter from OC, charge off, what does it mean?

It sounds like there is an issue of a possible admin error in account number.

They apparently need more into in order to determine what account your dispute relates to.

"Account not mine" is an assertion, not a fact.

In investigation of that assertion, they apparently have reached the same conclusion that you had an account with them, and that there is a possible admin error in an account number.  Normally, they would convey that fact back to the CRA, and the CRA would then determine if more info is needed, and communicate with you.

The CRA must complete its reinvestigation within 30 days, so you could simply ignore direct contact from the furnisher and wait for resolution by the CRA.

The CRA could dismiss the dispute by requesting more info, or they could decide to delete based on lack of verification.

However, any such deletion would not be permanent, as the creditor could simply reinsert by providing a later certification of accuracy.

Your call.... wait for a CRA decision, or contact the creditor and resolve the subtantive issue now.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.