Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter to Bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Letter to Bureaus

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit to get qualified for a mortgage. I have charge offs on my report with zero balances from 2012/2013.  I wrote letters to the three credit bureaus to remove them because of their age.  I know it'll take a month or two for me to see any changes. Has anyone written letters and been successful? If so, how long did it take to update your report and how high did your credit score increase?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Letter to Bureaus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit to get qualified for a mortgage. I have charge offs on my report with zero balances from 2012/2013.  I wrote letters to the three credit bureaus to remove them because of their age.  I know it'll take a month or two for me to see any changes. Has anyone written letters and been successful? If so, how long did it take to update your report and how high did your credit score increase?

Uhhh... those are not anywhere near the 7.5 year exclusion period. I would not get my hopes up.

Are the balance $0 because they have ben paid or because they have been sold to JDB's?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're $0 because some were sold to collections or I paid the balance.  I know it's not in the 7.5 year window, but mortgage lenders suggested I write them because the date of last activity is not recent.  We'll see what happens.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, like I said I would not get my hopes up. More likely to get GW deletions by writing to the OC's themselves. Ask for GW deletions on the paid ones, and for the ones that are sold off, ask them to delete the accounts in case you file BK in the near future - refer them to BoA's recent debacle with the FTC and their decision to delete any accounts that are sold to third party collectors.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs are in the business of accumulating and selling information in the form of consumer histories.

Deleted information has no value to anyone. Hence, their clear policy as set forth in their credit reporting manuals, that information is not to be deleted by furnishers based on payment of the debt.

I agree that asking the CRAs to voluntarily exclude information well prior to the general date established by congress for its exclusion is not likely to be fruitful.

Credit reports are less, not more, valuable to their customers if they remove credit history information.

I would concentrate on requesting GW from the creditor, who may see value in your happiness as a factor in getting your future business.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.