Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letters from me explaining my credit situation

tag
sammc1987
Established Member

Letters from me explaining my credit situation

I have recently applied for a mortgage.  I am pre-approved but now they want me to write letters explaining my credit situation for my accounts under collections.  They keep telling me to explain how it is temporary in nature,  beyond your control, and/or(?) not likely to happen again.

My question is...

Has anyone delt with these before?

Do they want you to pick one and explain on that? If so - Is there one that looks better then the other?

Are they looking for you to explain how it applies to all three?

Any help on this matter will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jmack711
Regular Contributor

Re: Letters from me explaining my credit situation

When I applied for my mortgage. I was told all collections had to be paid prior to me being approved. Is there any way you could do PFD for the collections? I've never heard of anyone having to just write a letter to explain the reasoning.

Message 2 of 9
sammc1987
Established Member

I have tried a PFD and the creditor won't accept. The accounts are old and are going to fall off next year so I am not wanting to pay them off and them be on my report another 7 years! They want me to explain and I guess if I have a justified reason for the collections of won't look as bad. They may make me pay them which I dont have a problem with to get a mortgage but I am not going to pay them at this point because it will hurt me more then it will help me.
Message 3 of 9
jmack711
Regular Contributor

From my understanding (and I may be wrong), but I thought the account could only remain on your report 7 years from the DOFD. I don't think paying them will hurt you as long as they are reported properly on the report after payment. I would continue trying for a PFD if you can pay them anyways. Trying going through high level executives to get cooperation.

Message 4 of 9
sammc1987
Established Member

No an account will be reported to the credit beureus when a new activity has happened on the account (payment of any kind), this will then change the reporting date to when you last paid, so if you pay it off it will take 7 years for it to fall off your report.
Message 5 of 9
kitty9779
Regular Contributor

@sammc1987 wrote:
No an account will be reported to the credit beureus when a new activity has happened on the account (payment of any kind), this will then change the reporting date to when you last paid, so if you pay it off it will take 7 years for it to fall off your report.

I don't think this is accurate.

Message 6 of 9
jmack711
Regular Contributor

True enough the credit bureau must update the date of last activity if you pay it off but the fact still remains that it can only be reported for 7 years from the DOFD. I've encountered this issue before and the item did indeed come off on time and was not extended another 7 years due to a payment.

Message 7 of 9
sammc1987
Established Member

Idk i heard that they stay on 7 years from last activity.. A lawyer told me that.
Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

The lawyer told you wrong.  The DOFD is what sets the clock for both the SOL and the CRTP of a debt.  The DOLA has no bearing on it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.