Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lien for Unpaid Homeowner's Association Dues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lien for Unpaid Homeowner's Association Dues

Has anyone had a lien filed on them for unpaid Homeowner's Association (HOA) Dues that actually reported to your credit reports? Does it post as a public record and how did it affect your FICO scores? Any response is greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lien for Unpaid Homeowner's Association Dues

I swear, when I'm in the market for a home, I'm going to instruct my Realtor to automatically eliminate any home from the list that is covered by an HOA. Money-sucking leeches...

Yes, I have heard of instances where unpaid dues can be reported, just like unpaid library fines and video-store late fees have been known to be reported.

Bear in mind if you live in a home with an HOA, you're renting from them, no matter whose name is on the title. They actually have the right to take your home if you don't pay your dues, in many cases.
Message 2 of 8
Eric958
Established Contributor

I agree, When we started looking for our house last year we instructed our realtor to EXCLUDE any Homeowner associations.

Never Give Up!!
Message 3 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

We have an H.O.A.  The first thing he will do is turn it over to an atty for collections..this adds about $75 to the bill, plus the late fee.

It can get ugly.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the simple answer.  This come up a lot.  Can XYZ go on my credit report.

HOA
Unpaid Rent
Damage in excess of security deposit (renters)
Cellphone bills
Utilities (most)
Cable Service
Bounced Checks
Unpaid memberships
Past Due medical bills.
Condo Dues
Timeshare Maintenance Fees
etc...etc....etc...

Basically anytime you don't pay someone but weren't extended credit can end up on your credit report and.or collections and/or judgement and/or garnishment and/or lien.

Here is how:
None of the above can go on CR (I know some utilities do but they shouldn't - it isn't credit).  They weren't credit.  None of the above (including HOA) extended you a line of credit.

HOWEVER any of the above can turn the account over to a collecton agency.  CO do report on CR.  So any debt.  From not paying back the guy who lent you $1 for soda machine CAN go on your CR via a CO.  Make sense?

If the unpaid really don't like you or the amount if large enough they can seek a judgement in court.
Once a judgement is issued it WILL go on your CR as a public record.  So any unpaid debt for ANYTHING can get on your CR via a judgement.  This is harder than a CO because t requires the creditor to seek and win a judgment in court.

Once the creditor has a judgement and you still don't pay they can seek a lien and/or garnishment of wages.  So you can have a lien and/or garnished wages for ANY debt.

So simple answer:
Unpaid HOA bills can't go on CR.
A Collection and/or judgement and/or lien and/or garnishment can be sought for any unpaid debt (including HOA bills) which CAN be reported on CR.

Make sense?  If you owe a lot on your HOA talk to them or get an attorney.  Work out a plan.  Most just want their money.  They may accept you paying 150% of normal HOA rate until unpaid balance is paid off (could be years and years).  Talk to them now.  Once they have you over barrel via CO and/or judgement they won't care.  You will pay then or risk a lien and/or garnishment of wages.  The time to negotiate is NOW.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your responses. I guess it's time to suck it up and pay the fees. I wonder though since a lien has already been filed through the county clerk, if I pay it and it has not showed up on my credit yet.....will it eventually show on my report as a released lien???????
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have oodles of HOAs here ... I swear, almost everyone I know that owns belongs to one!!

They are SO ridiculous. One friend of ours has been battling their HOA for about 4 years now. Apparently, the previous owners of the house decided to flout the rules and had a visible-from-the-street-garage built (which is against the HOA rules -- they're the only house like that). And the HOA has been trying to force them to tear it down (or "move" it) for YEARS. How ridiculous is that??

The HOA didn't say a single word about the garage being in violation until my friends had owned the house for a year. Then began harassing them.

HOAs can kiss my tan patootie.
Message 7 of 8
lorenzomia

I know this is old, but... did it ever show up?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.