Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life after BK7

tag
currypuff

Life after BK7

Hi all,

Newbie here. My wife and I filed BK7 10/2012 and it was discharged 12/2012. Started off rebuilding (her) credit by financing a car since the car we had originally reaffirmed in our BK died on us and luckily we were able to cancel the reaffirmation and include it in our BK7. Then we both got Cap One one cards, she had to pay a $49 processing fee for a $200 CL and I didn't have to on a $300 CL. My wife has had zero luck after Cap One in getting any type of credit. She has applied 3 times in the past 6 months and keeps getting denied so she has given up for the time being. I on the other hand, (and thanks to this wonderful FICO forum) have had some luck, and then some. Found out about the shopping cart trick from My Fico in 5/2013 and I was approved for little piddly paddly cards from J. Crew, Avenue, Express, Victoria's Secret, Ann Taylor (all of these are small CL's of $250 and my wife uses mostly for clearance items and w/coupons).  A few months later was approved for Kohls $500 CL. We are never late and always pay on time on ALL of our credit accounts.  I tried on a monthly basis to get approved for Jessica London with the shopping cart trick but no luck so gave up after a few months. In 11/2013 the shopping cart trick finally worked for Jessica London $250 CL. Yesterday, (after reading some posts here) I decided to try the pre-qual for a Barclay card. I had tried Barclay in May 2013 but was given a different message back then something along the lines of "these cards may interest you" but when I tried yesterday, there was a different message that said I prequalifed for a card and so I applied and was instantly approved for a Barclay Rewards Mastercard with a $750 CL. The APR is high but this will definitely help in our "project rebuild". Like my Cap One card I plan to use this card sparingly and pay off every month. Thought about buying new tires with the Barclay card so I went on the Firestone website to see what kind of deals I could get once I received the Barclay card. I got caught off guard by the "apply now" for a Firestone Complete Auto care credit card and was instantly approved with a $1400 CL. APR is also high but for purchases over $399 you get zero interest if paid off in 6 months. I thought that was a great deal. So my post is just to let everyone see the journey my wife and I have been taking since our BK was discharged, it takes LOTS of patience and LOTS of control, we keep a montly spreadsheet for all our bills and balances. It's only been a year and things are getting better.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Life after BK7

What a wonderful synopsis of your personal credit rebuilding efforts and results. Thank you for sharing. Others will undoubtedly be motivated by your story.

BTW, you are doing ok on your own credit. For your wife's, check out First Progress Bank as I got two secured cards from them with one online app. Those cards are reporting to all three credit agencies.

All the best for continued success in the new year ahead of us.

Message 2 of 4
currypuff

I wanted to add that my starting score right after my BK7 discharged was 570 and my wifes was 545. I'm currently at 610 and my wife is 614. Trying to work our way up to 700 as our main goal is to save our tax refunds to put money down on a house. I guess in a way it's kind of good that my wife doesn't have any credit accounts other than the car financing and Cap One and most of my credit cards have low CL's as we don't need major monthly credit card payments. Any advice as how to get my score to jump higher would be greatly appreciated. I also might add that 2 months ago, my score according to Credit Karma was at 612 and went all the way down to 595 but now I'm at 610? I wonder if that's because I paid off two cards that are currently at zero balance, Ann Taylor and JCrew?

Message 3 of 4
currypuff

Thank you! This credit stuff is serious business!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.