cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life as a poorie.

tag

Re: Life as a poorie.

A second job is definitely in the cards for me. I'm leaning toward some type of crappy food service or restaurant work. While doing that I also hope to look into investing in stocks, something I know nothing about, lol. I've heard of people making a decent amount doing that and it would be a good 3rd job.

I understand why landlords won't take credit cards for rent. Let's face it, most people don't pay their credit cards in full, and that could have very bad implications for a landlord who has a mortgage to pay. A lot of places don't want to take the risk of someone paying them with a credit card that's just going to carry a huge balance and possibly end up in a bankruptcy.

Luckily for me rent was one thing I always stayed on top of. I've never had rent related issues with any landlord aside from one very foolishly bounced check when I was 22 (lucky I didn't get in a lot of trouble, since it was not intentional). Right now I have a separate bank account that is solely for paying rent. Not going to take ANY chances here. By the time my paycheck hits my main bank account, the amount for rent is already gone, like it was never there. I think that's a good way that works for me and it will save me lots of headaches down the road. Rent is the absolute first priority. Need a place to live, gotta pay that rent.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 31 of 36
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@triedtogetacardandcouldnt wrote:

A second job is definitely in the cards for me. I'm leaning toward some type of crappy food service or restaurant work. While doing that I also hope to look into investing in stocks, something I know nothing about, lol. I've heard of people making a decent amount doing that and it would be a good 3rd job.

I understand why landlords won't take credit cards for rent. Let's face it, most people don't pay their credit cards in full, and that could have very bad implications for a landlord who has a mortgage to pay. A lot of places don't want to take the risk of someone paying them with a credit card that's just going to carry a huge balance and possibly end up in a bankruptcy.

Luckily for me rent was one thing I always stayed on top of. I've never had rent related issues with any landlord aside from one very foolishly bounced check when I was 22 (lucky I didn't get in a lot of trouble, since it was not intentional). Right now I have a separate bank account that is solely for paying rent. Not going to take ANY chances here. By the time my paycheck hits my main bank account, the amount for rent is already gone, like it was never there. I think that's a good way that works for me and it will save me lots of headaches down the road. Rent is the absolute first priority. Need a place to live, gotta pay that rent.

My landlord doesn't accept credit cards because i am the only one that would pay that way. I even tried to convince him to take PayPal because then i could pay with whatever card i wanted to whenever. He almost bought the idea when i said he could set it up like a subscription or recurring payment and no one would ever have to worry about it. He would do it if more tenants would do it. Majority of renters where i live aren't reliable, he collects a lot of cash every month and spends a lot of time hunting down payments. I guess you can say i live in a bit of a slum area Smiley Sad

Like you, rent is the number one priority every month. It's a shame that doesn't show on the credit reports!!!

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 32 of 36

I've been giving it some thought and I realized that people are right, I don't need a gym. As gross as it is, the public outdoor pool is open for the summer, and the track at a local college is fine for running. There's also some outdoor tennis courts in the area. I'm not THRILLED about it, and it's not long term solution as the cold weather will come again, but it's okay for getting started.

Changing my diet will also do wonders and make the exerciseI do more effective.

Having a weight problem really sucks. It's scary to have this condition that I had absolutely no choice in getting that is a threat to my health. I agree with the person who said that if you don't have your health, you have nothing. Not to mention the lovely medical bills resulting from being obese and unhealthy.

Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 33 of 36

I agree completely. It would be great to get a boost from being a responsible tenant who pays AHEAD of time each month (when my second paycheck hits my account).

Message 34 of 36
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Tried to get credit, are there any manufacturing jobs in your area? They tend to pay much better than retail or food service. A good way to get a foot in the door if you have no experience is through a temp agency. If your not afraid to work off shifts I bet you can find something in that sector that pays better.
Another place, as your in retail, would be Costco. They pay a living wage there. Not easy to get into I hear but where there's a will there's a way.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 35 of 36
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@triedtogetacardandcouldnt wrote:

I've been giving it some thought and I realized that people are right, I don't need a gym. As gross as it is, the public outdoor pool is open for the summer, and the track at a local college is fine for running. There's also some outdoor tennis courts in the area. I'm not THRILLED about it, and it's not long term solution as the cold weather will come again, but it's okay for getting started.

Changing my diet will also do wonders and make the exerciseI do more effective.

Having a weight problem really sucks. It's scary to have this condition that I had absolutely no choice in getting that is a threat to my health. I agree with the person who said that if you don't have your health, you have nothing. Not to mention the lovely medical bills resulting from being obese and unhealthy.

Good for you, i am glad to see you are finding some solutions. As happy as i am for you, i am jealous !!! We don't have much where i am and our local pool isn't affordable.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.