Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life as a poorie.

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Life as a poorie.

it seems income is the root of the problem, maybe make up a nice resume, look for jobs that pay a few bucks more (which will probably mean you will be changing careers). this may take a few months but keep your direction focused!. there are jobs opening up lately, my GF started in "special needs" care 2 years ago with no experience and got free training and all of her certifications scheduled and paid for by the company (they all pretty much do that because they are starving for help everywhere). the job is not physically demanding and she started at a decent wage. she is now a supervisor and making great money for this area. definitely keep working hard at the gym because without your health, all of this is worthless. so i guess "it might be time to try and start making some decent cash"  just an option, good luck Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 36
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

If you can handle it get a 3rd shift job as a gas station clerk. Just work 3 shifts a week and you will significantly Improve your income. Once you have 3k in the bank or enough to cover your monthly expenses + at least 500 dollars, you can quit. Then you can start using auto pay for all your regular bills and set your cc's to pay the balance in full automatically. I'm currently working on a way to pay rent with my cc lol
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 22 of 36
eric19k
Established Contributor

I would suggest to make money by doing some small favors: pet sitting, cleaning, nanny or some help with packing or unpacking when people moving. Or maybe something you good at: sewing, painting, art. There are websites such as craigslist, yelp etc. to advertise for free.

You will make extra cash to pay some bills. 

I know it is hard. I have 9k in debt, bad credit, recently lost my business and dealing with landlord. But I would go and do some gigs:moving, TV extras, flyers passing etc.

Nobody will come to you and say "Hey I'm gonna give million dollars please help yourself". 

Credit is credit. It is just a way to buy expensive stuff that you can't really afford. 

Best of Luck

TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 23 of 36
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@Drsgwld wrote:
1-2% cash back means nothing, if cc is going to cost 22-24% or higher. The interest on a SL is far lower!

If i pay my credit card in full every month then there's no interest charged.

Running the student loan through my credit card instead of my checking means that i can get the cash back and then pay the balance in full every month.

In the short term it doesn't seem like much but those pennies would add up after thousands of dollars in payments.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 24 of 36
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@buildafico wrote:
If you can handle it get a 3rd shift job as a gas station clerk. Just work 3 shifts a week and you will significantly Improve your income. Once you have 3k in the bank or enough to cover your monthly expenses + at least 500 dollars, you can quit. Then you can start using auto pay for all your regular bills and set your cc's to pay the balance in full automatically. I'm currently working on a way to pay rent with my cc lol

I tried so hard to get my landlord to do that for me, even told him i would pay any extra fees involved for the convenience. It's a no go here. If you figure out a way, let me know. I write one check a month and buy one stamp every month... pita if you ask me.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Message 25 of 36
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

Hmmmm. What about using bill pay? Will it mail a check to the address given and does it count towards points. That's off topic though we should start our own thread I feel there may be quite a few interesting opinions about that subject.
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 26 of 36
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I see... Your making your monthly SL payment with your CC! Lol. I thought you were putting your balance on a credit card!
Message 27 of 36
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@Drsgwld wrote:
I see... Your making your monthly SL payment with your CC! Lol. I thought you were putting your balance on a credit card!

That's what i want to do. It's my BF's student loan and he just enrolled in the rehab program. Unfortunately, they will only let him do direct debit from his checking account. That's fine but we can't start until his account is all squared away.

Such is life in the "poor house." A lot of waiting and juggling money and jumping through hoops to save a penny or avoid a fee.

Message 28 of 36
Loques
Regular Contributor

@elim wrote:

it seems income is the root of the problem, maybe make up a nice resume, look for jobs that pay a few bucks more (which will probably mean you will be changing careers). this may take a few months but keep your direction focused!. there are jobs opening up lately, my GF started in "special needs" care 2 years ago with no experience and got free training and all of her certifications scheduled and paid for by the company (they all pretty much do that because they are starving for help everywhere). the job is not physically demanding and she started at a decent wage. she is now a supervisor and making great money for this area. definitely keep working hard at the gym because without your health, all of this is worthless. so i guess "it might be time to try and start making some decent cash"  just an option, good luck Smiley Happy

+1 on that. When I was in a similar situation 5 years ago, I read a book that really changed my perspective on debt ("You're Broke Because You Want to Be"). One of the key things that I took away from that book was that to get out of debt, you either have to increase your income or decrease your expenses. All the rest - credit, cards, cars - will follow but I honestly believe that it starts with your income. If you can't decrease your expense any further, increase your income. Work a 2nd job, or a 3rd job (as I did). You will be able to manage better once that is under control but like most things, it takes work.

Current Score (11/2020): EQ: 753 | TU: 731 | EX: 749---Starting Score (3/2010): EQ: 522 | TU: 525 | EX: 520---Goal: All 3 FICO 800+
--------------------
Message 29 of 36
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

+1 to agree there. The second job really helped me stabilize things. Once your stable you can stay there easily. Debt is a wonderful servant but a terrible master.
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.