Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines of Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lines of Credit

Recently read an article at http://www.ehow.com/how_6070056_raise-100-points-6-months.html that states:

'Contact any lenders where you have a lineofcredit,  including credit cards and home equity lines of credit. Reduce your line of  credit as much as possible--that is, close to the amount you currently owe on  the account. Eliminating this easy access to credit reduces your risk as a  borrower immediately and so helps raise your credit score quickly.'

Well, needless to say, I have a line of credit that shows up as revolving credit on my reports.  For better or worse, this line of credit represents well over 65% of my available credit.  Although my utilization on this account is less than 5% (other RC accounts currently 0%) I am somewhat confused by this statement to reduce available credit to improve scores.

I can see how a lender might be concered about this additional debt potential but do not see how reducing this could help my credit scores. 

Should I dismiss this information as flawed or have I missed something?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

Re: Lines of Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

Recently read an article at http://www.ehow.com/how_6070056_raise-100-points-6-months.html that states:

'Contact any lenders where you have a lineofcredit,  including credit cards and home equity lines of credit. Reduce your line of  credit as much as possible--that is, close to the amount you currently owe on  the account. Eliminating this easy access to credit reduces your risk as a  borrower immediately and so helps raise your credit score quickly.'

Well, needless to say, I have a line of credit that shows up as revolving credit on my reports.  For better or worse, this line of credit represents well over 65% of my available credit.  Although my utilization on this account is less than 5% (other RC accounts currently 0%) I am somewhat confused by this statement to reduce available credit to improve scores.

I can see how a lender might be concered about this additional debt potential but do not see how reducing this could help my credit scores. 

IMO and I am not an expert but to me it seems like that would Kill your UTIL and damage not help your scores

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's absolutely flawed and the writer has no idea how all this works. By your own words you already realize that if you reduce your CL (CreditLimit) that this will hurt you badly.

Walk quickly away from this "advice".

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. Be careful of what you read on the internet (but we're good of course Smiley Happy ).

Let's say you have a line of credit (LOC) at $10,000 with a balance of $2500, a CC with a CL of $5000 and a balance of $1000, and another CC with a balance of $0 with a CL of $2000. In this example, your overall utilization is 20% ($3500/$17000). Your 20% utilization isn't too bad, but could use some improvement for additional points.

If you then decide to call your creditors and ask them to slash your CLs. Let's say they don't question your sanity and follow through with your request and that $10,000 CL with the LOC drops to $3000, the $5000 CL CC turns into $1500, and that $2000 CC turns into $500. Your new CL total is $5000 from $17000 before. Your balances would still be the same at $3500.

Your new overall utilization spikes from 20% to 70%. That's huge. That would be a potential drop of 40-80+ points just by that action. Not only that, current creditors and future creditors won't know why you did that. They now see that you are maxing out your credit cards and that your scores dropped. There's a high chance that they'll cut your limits even further if that new utilization carries over time.

There's a lot of conflicting and confusing information out there.

Message 4 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

1 & 2 are accurate.

3 is accurate except for the info in the last sentence about closed accounts. It would be more accurate to say that Inquiries stop having an effect on your credit after one year and disappear in 2 years. Closed accounts normally stay on your reports for 10 years.

BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM: 4 is some of the worst nonsense that I have ever heard. Lowering your credit limits increases utilization on your revolving credit and destroys your credit. This is a completely irresponsible article.

5 is accurate except for the link to lousy info for places that will sell you scores for all three Credit Reporting Agencies including scores that are not used by lenders. Most lenders use FICO scores.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

A stupid article.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.