Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing Late Payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Listing Late Payment

You can call customer service and they might be able to help you.

Do any of your accounts with lates have a recent date listed for any of the dates such as date reported, date of last activity, date closed, etc?

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only one that seems like it could be showing a late payment is one with LVNV funding, but they are a CA, correct?
Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to speak to a representative with myFICO and they determined that indeed collections are included in the "missed and late payments" category. This is obviously bad news for me but hopefully will be helpful to others in the future. Nonetheless, I appreciate your help in the matter.
Message 13 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the collection account show lates? Was it just updated 3 months ago?
Message 14 of 35
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I think you may be mis-interpreting what FI told you.

A collection account reported to your CR does not post missed or late payments. You have no contract with them, and thus they cant report delinquencies.   Only the OC can do that.  All they report is their claim to collect the debt/

The CA posts the date of its collection activity, and its status as paid or unpaid.  They cannot post length of any account delinquencies. 

The root of your late payment mystery is apparently not with the CA reporting.  It is with the OC.

Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG wrote:

I think you may be mis-interpreting what FI told you.

A collection account reported to your CR does not post missed or late payments. You have no contract with them, and thus they cant report delinquencies.   Only the OC can do that.  All they report is their claim to collect the debt/

The CA posts the date of its collection activity, and its status as paid or unpaid.  They cannot post length of any account delinquencies. 

The root of your late payment mystery is apparently not with the CA reporting.  It is with the OC.

What a CA shouldn't do and what they do are two seperate issues.

When a CA is misreporting and showing up in the regular accounts section, they CAN and usually do report monthly payment status and mark them as lates.

When the CA is reported under collection accounts as they should be, there is no payment history to display.

Message 16 of 35
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are simply no reporting codes availble to a CA to update OC account when reporting their collection account. 

If a CA is doing this, then it is a GROSS violation of the FCRA.

When a CA posts to a consumer credit file, it is an entirely separate posting than the OC account.

The CA has no legal authority to change the prior reporting of anything in the separate OC account with the CRA.

A CA may only post the collection as open (upaid) or closed (paid in full or settled in part), the date their collection activity commenced, and any legal actions taken on their collection account.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-20-2009 08:57 PM
Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-20-2009 08:57 PM
Message 17 of 35
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

There are simply no reporting codes availble to a CA to update OC account when reporting their collection account. 

When a CA posts to a consumer credit file, it is an entirely separate posting than the OC account.

The CA has no legal authority to change the prior reporting of anything in the separate OC account with the CRA.

A CA may only post the collection as open (upaid) or closed (paid in full or settled in part), the date their collection activity commenced, and any legal actions taken on their collection account.

True. But not the point. Its not about a CA changing the OC a/c listing. Its about the CA reporting inaccurately. 

Yes, ideally a CA cannot  report payment history and hence cannot report lates as there are no codes to do so. But they do often misreport their collection a/cs under the 'accounts' section (where OCs report) and not under 'collections'. In such a scenario where they are reporting the collection a/c in the regular accounts section, they can possibly report payment history or other information indicating a late. For instance, they may perhaps report the a/c as 120 days past due in the a/cs status section where they are supposed to report as 'a collection a/c'.

Or they could report the a/c type as installment a/c instead of 'open(or closed)' as you mentioned thus enabling them to report a late. The CAs should not use those codes but the codes are there and the CAs misuse them.

So they are misreporting and using codes they are not supposed to and in such a case, they would end up reporting lates or reporting inaccurately, which might end up being considered by FICO which would end up tanking the score and the consumer would end up with lousy scores although a savvy consumer could possibly end up with the TL deletion or $1000.00 or both. 

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 05-20-2009 11:42 PM
Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG wrote:

Take some time and read around on this forum. There is probably at least a post a day where this is happening. It isn't uncommon.

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I thoroughly appreciate all the input, but now I am even more confused. Should I be concerned that the CA are reporting as lates on my report? I paid them off about four months ago and that is when it is reporting my last late. Also, the CA are only reporting in my collection section of the report. They are not reporting in the account section. So now do I go after the OC or the CA and does myFICO have this right?
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.