Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Litigation Threat

tag
cdub69
Regular Contributor

Litigation Threat

I have a collection for a broken date 5/2007. I have tried several times over the past three years to negotiate a lower payment,but I was denied.Today I received a letter that stated 'We are prepared to recommend that our client pursue this debt through more intensive efforts."They threatened litigation.Is there anything that I can do?I don't have that kind of money.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Litigation Threat

Do you know who owns the debt?     Do  you know your states SOL?

What have you done so far with this debt? by that I mean have you sent letters or disputed it?

What type of debt is it? auto, CC medical

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 4
cdub69
Regular Contributor

I have done everything,including trying to pay for less than full balance. it's for 5k. for a broken lease and the OC said they can not take it back

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FDCPA 807(5) defines as a false or misleading reprentation  "the threat to take any action that legally cannot be taken or that is not intended to be taken."

Legal actrion is certainly an action that could be taken.  To show that they dont really intend to take such action is proving their state of mind, and is nearly impossible to prove.  I dont see anything improper in their advisement to their client to "consider more intensive efforts." While maybe an implied threat of legal action, more intensive action could also be updated communications with you.

What they are telling you, in my opinion, is that the debt is still within SOL, and as such, they wont accept less than full payment, and are willing to go to court to secure a judgement for full payment..

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.