Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little Credit - High Score Goals PLEASE HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Little Credit - High Score Goals PLEASE HELP

I am trying to get my middle score to above a 680 and it seams that everything I do is wrong because my scores keep going down.  My goal is to get approved for a specific home loan through my bank but I need a 680!!!!!

The only thing I have done is charge to my only credit card and then pay off (two different times, two different amounts).  How is that affecting my scores so drastically? 

Current   /    06/12/15

Experian        665              665
TransUnion   694              707

Equifax          656               676

Also my credit card is only a $500 credit limit.

I do have some medical collections from 2010 but only totaling about $1,200.00.  Is it better to just settle and pay those debts off?

Why are my scores going down?  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Little Credit - High Score Goals PLEASE HELP

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to get my middle score to above a 680 and it seams that everything I do is wrong because my scores keep going down.  My goal is to get approved for a specific home loan through my bank but I need a 680!!!!!

The only thing I have done is charge to my only credit card and then pay off (two different times, two different amounts).  How is that affecting my scores so drastically? 

Current   /    06/12/15

Experian        665              665
TransUnion   694              707

Equifax          656               676

Also my credit card is only a $500 credit limit.

I do have some medical collections from 2010 but only totaling about $1,200.00.  Is it better to just settle and pay those debts off?

Why are my scores going down?  

I'm assuming the amounts charged were reported as a balance on your monthly statement?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you list  your card(s) with the CL and your balance(s)?

How much are you paying on the balance by the due date? And between the due date and the closing date, you're not adding any additional charges are you?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BOA credit card has a limit of $500.00 with a current balance of $79.00 after a payment I made today. 

I used to charge stuff to the card and then pay the minimum of $25.00 a month thinking that was good and ok.  The most I had charged on the card this year was around $280.00.  Then I was told i had to pay more then $25.00 minimum so I paid $50.00 a month.  Then I was told to pay it off so I did.  After I paid it off I have had two charges on the card. 1st was $9 because I used the wrong card so I paid that off right away (less than a week). 2nd is currently a balance of $179.00 and I just paid $100.00 towards that today. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Day to day balances, dont matter. Don't matter as in less than zero. So if you're balance is 100 today, 400 tomorrow, 0 the next day, it won't affect your score, only increase you're likeliness for a credit limit increase. What DOES matter is the balance reported to the credit bureau's. So on you're report, what does it say for your cards. As someone said earlier, please list your cards, max line, and current balance on them. Ck work's just fine for this

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My BOA credit card has a limit of $500.00 with a current balance of $79.00 after a payment I made today. 

I used to charge stuff to the card and then pay the minimum of $25.00 a month thinking that was good and ok.  The most I had charged on the card this year was around $280.00.  Then I was told i had to pay more then $25.00 minimum so I paid $50.00 a month.  Then I was told to pay it off so I did.  After I paid it off I have had two charges on the card. 1st was $9 because I used the wrong card so I paid that off right away (less than a week). 2nd is currently a balance of $179.00 and I just paid $100.00 towards that today. 

Do you have one card or two?

Again, what are your past STATEMENT BALANCES? You should be able to pull up your past statements online.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope this is what you mean:

APRIL

New Balance Total ...........................$105.23
Total Credit Line...............................$500.00
Total Credit Available........................$394.77
Cash Credit Line ..............................$200.00
Portion of Credit Available for Cash....$200.00
Statement Closing Date ...................4/13/15
Days in Billing Cycle ..................................31

MAY

New Balance Total ...............................$9.43
Total Credit Available........................$490.57
Statement Closing Date ...................5/13/15
Days in Billing Cycle ..................................30

JUNE

New Balance Total ...............................$0.00
Total Credit Available........................$500.00
Statement Closing Date....................6/13/15

JULY

New Balance Total ...........................$179.43
Total Credit Available........................$320.57
Statement Closing Date ...................7/13/15

I just made a payment today of $100.00.  My confusion is that my scores are going down if I have a balance of $0.00 and they are going down if I use them and put a balance on them. 

Alerts
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is what I wanted to see.

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope this is what you mean:

APRIL

New Balance Total ...........................$105.23
Total Credit Available........................$394.77
Statement Closing Date ...................4/13/15

MAY

New Balance Total ...............................$9.43
Total Credit Available........................$490.57
Statement Closing Date ...................5/13/15

JUNE

New Balance Total ...............................$0.00
Total Credit Available........................$500.00
Statement Closing Date....................6/13/15

JULY

New Balance Total ...........................$179.43
Total Credit Available........................$320.57
Statement Closing Date ...................7/13/15

I just made a payment today of $100.00.  My confusion is that my scores are going down if I have a balance of $0.00 and they are going down if I use them and put a balance on them. 

Alerts

The "New Balance Total" lines are what gets reported to the CRA's as your "balance" each month. As you can see, its jumping all over the place, from high to low, to zero and then high again. What you want to do is keep the reported balance low, but not quite zero. $10 or so would be a good amount to pick. If your card lets you make online payments, and credits the payments right away, then log in the day before the statement closes (the 12th) and pay all but $10 of the balance showing.

I would also suggest getting at least two more cards. Try Capital One Quick Silver first. Your scores are high enough you should qualify. If you get approved, app right away for the Platinum Prestige. Do it right now.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of people have observed and I have tested it and it works for me, that the sweet spot is letting the statement post with under 10 percent utilization, but not zero. In your case, that means let the statement date come with a balance of not more than 50 bucks, but not zero. Do that consistently for a few months and you'll likely(no guarantees, nobody can say for sure) see some positive stabilization in the movement of your scores due to the card.

I don't know how far you are from buying a house, but having only one open revolving credit line is not ideal. 3 is the magic number I've seen repeated(I don't know for sure, I do know that with 2 open accounts, I continue to have "not enough current accounts" listed as a negative against my score, but I just added another 2 so we'll see if that helps). With your scores, you can probably get approved for a decent no annual fee unsecured card somewhere, but I'd encourage you to consider a credit union. However, that could whack your score in the short term just on the hard inquiry alone. A safer in the short term way would be to get another secured card, which would avoid the hit from the hard inquiries(assuming you apply at one of the many places that doesn't do them for secured cards), but still might get a hit with a new line of credit open(might not though). A good card, though it doesn't graduate, is the Visa Platinum Rewards from SDFCU(apply by phone to avoid hard inquiry, I've seen reports the online app results in a hard inquiry).

What you can do at this point depends a lot on what your time frame for buying a house is. If you're looking at a year out, then you have a lot of options. If you're looking at next couple months, that's a lot dicier and I'd be hesitant to offer any advice as I've only personal experience in moving my score in longer time frames.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't fear the hard inquiries. They DO NOT do that much damage. I've yet to see my score actually drop from an inquiry alone, and I've got double digits now on EQ. The initial drop when new credit accounts are added is usually a combination of several factors - new account, and lowered AAoA, being the biggest factors. With a single revolving line, a second credit account almost always boosts scores, and the third will probably be a net no change. Adding accounts past that usually results in small drops, of a few points, but your scores bounce back quickly with subsequent good payment history.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.